Electric windows/roof wierdness

Ade W124

Reaction score
Anyone tell me how the electric bits (windows, roof, mirrors?) are meant to work (or not) with the ignition off.. 1990 300CE 24V

Curious as we recently returned to a locked car to find our westie had somehow opened a window slightly - presumably by standing on one of the switches :rolleyes:

It only seems to have done this once, normally with the ignition off, nothing works...

Would be good to know as I've visions of returning one day to a well ventilated but dogless car!

Ade

ps. he normally lives in the house in case you were wondering.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On some cars the windows will work when the door is open, other than that there is nothing that could do this on a 124 to my knowledge

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Could be wrong here, but I seem to remember one merc we had (may have been our 1984 380SE - not sure) where the windows continued to work for a while, once the key had been removed - say 2 mins. I suspect it had a timer that kicked in once the ignition was off and gave you a couple of minutes grace to shut the windows.

maiga

Reaction score
I had a seriously beaten up 190e, that had many intermittent, un-reproducible, minor electrical quirks. Sometimes you could operate the windows with the key out of the ignition, sometimes you couldn't... all added to the fun of the thing, really!

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The sun roof will (should) only operate with the key switched on, the windows will operate with a front door open as well. Check the door pillar switches if one is a bit dodgy it may be the culprit.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom