Engine cut out when I use main beam.

phil9560

Reaction score
Hiya all.Yesterday when I flashed my 2004 Sprinter main beam I stalled and lost all dashboard power.After I few minutes the van would start and main beam worked without a problem.But even as an intermittent fault this is dangerous.Has anybody experienced similar ? Thanks in advance.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Driving through Floods or heavy standing water by any chance Phil?

OP
P

phil9560

Reaction score
No weather was dry.But I think I've found the problem.I have a battery isolator switch on the neutral fitted in the cab.This switch has developed a fault and isnswitching itself off.So I think I used the main beam with headlights and fan running whuch was too great a load with no neutral.Hence the shutdown.Does this seem viable ?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Good find Phil, If you lost all 12v power that seems a reasonable explanation, either replace the switch or bypass it to test the theory out. When you say neutral I take it you mean the earth lead?

OP
P

phil9560

Reaction score
Yes the earth.Beyond the basic principles auto electrics are a mystery to me.The testing and elimination process begins next week

OP
P

phil9560

Reaction score
Heres a question.Because I'm using the isolator I keep losing my radio station memory.So I connected the ground on the radio directly to the ground side of the isolator thinking this would solve the problem whilst leaving everything else dead.Instead it woke the whole system up as if the isolator was switched on.Am I missing something obvious ? Thanks.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Heres a question.Because I'm using the isolator I keep losing my radio station memory.So I connected the ground on the radio directly to the ground side of the isolator thinking this would solve the problem whilst leaving everything else dead.Instead it woke the whole system up as if the isolator was switched on.Am I missing something obvious ? Thanks.
I have a 10a fuse across my isolator so memories stay live. The fuse blows if you try and start the vehicle though.

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
The whole vehicle metal work is a ground, The radio will likely have some other connection to this ground, either through the case or some other input circuit
So that ground wire for the radio you installed will now be completing the circuit and carrying all the current for everything when that isolator is off...If it doesn't blow or melt something else will.

Blobcat's solution is safer.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom