Engine turns over but won't start............

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
maybe I should be looking why there is no response from this and try to locate the ATA control unit?

Socket 23 Anti Theft Alarm System (ATA)
No response?

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
David sorry to say but the immobiliser may be you problem as i have been there and had the teashirt. You can play for hours and not get it to start if its your problem

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
David sorry to say but the immobiliser may be you problem as i have been there and had the teashirt. You can play for hours and not get it to start if its your problem

Thanks for that!, How did you sort yours in the end?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ermmm silly question here but does your remote unlock the car using the button on the fob? Have you tried new batteries in teh fob.

Found on another site that low batteries can cause erratic operation of the immobiliser.

Last edited:
OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ermmm silly question here but does your remote unlock the car using the button on the fob? Have you tried new batteries in teh fob.

Found on another site that low batteries can cause erratic operation of the immobiliser.

At the moment, no question or suggestion is too silly if its get this thing started!

I put new batteries in the fob a few weeks back just in case. I checked them with my multimeter and they were spot on voltage wise. I will swap them again just in case...

Normally I leave the car battery disconnected and when I reconnect it doesn't arm the system and just starts straight away. I have done the lock/unlock procedure as well just in case things have changed. I've checked the sender in my camera and that works..

I can't do anything until the weekend now and replacing the Diverter Valve on the combi boiler is top of the list of jobs to do then....

hsloco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 280 Sport 2007
I can't do anything until the weekend now and replacing the Diverter Valve on the combi boiler is top of the list of jobs to do then....[/QUOTE]

Hi David,

Things might have changed since I last worked on a diverter valve, but you never needed to change the whole valve assembly, just the mechanical section.

This means that you do not have to shut off the water supply and struggle to undo the pipe fittings and remove the diverter valve. You just disconnect the electrical solenoid then remove the mechanical element of the valve. It is this part that seizes up and causes the problem.

If it is as I say then just unscrew the mechanical section of the new valve and fit it to the existing valve. If you knew this already then I apologise profusely

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't do anything until the weekend now and replacing the Diverter Valve on the combi boiler is top of the list of jobs to do then....

Hi David,

Things might have changed since I last worked on a diverter valve, but you never needed to change the whole valve assembly, just the mechanical section.

This means that you do not have to shut off the water supply and struggle to undo the pipe fittings and remove the diverter valve. You just disconnect the electrical solenoid then remove the mechanical element of the valve. It is this part that seizes up and causes the problem.

If it is as I say then just unscrew the mechanical section of the new valve and fit it to the existing valve. If you knew this already then I apologise profusely

I've got a new motorised valve and a 3 way diverter valve overhaul kit. Hopefully it will be the motor bit of the valve as that's 10 mins to change and no drain down. I have a feeling its going to be the diverter valve and thats a drain down job..

Wish the SL was as easy to sort !

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom