Exhaust replacement

gfern

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 500SL
The exhaust on my 90 500SL is going to need replacement soon, I need to decide whether to replace with the Standard system or to jazz up the exhaust note a little. It is a bit expensive to experiment with these things so if anyone can share their experiences with different systems it would be much appreciated. What are the views on SS is it worth the extra cost?

Geoff

clive williams

Reaction score
gfern said:
The exhaust on my 90 500SL is going to need replacement soon, I need to decide whether to replace with the Standard system or to jazz up the exhaust note a little. It is a bit expensive to experiment with these things so if anyone can share their experiences with different systems it would be much appreciated. What are the views on SS is it worth the extra cost?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Standard non-MB systems IMO are only good for a max of 3 years and will probably strangle the gas flow as well, performance ms systems last a little longer. There are good ss and bad ss systems, the discussion of which is a subject on its own. The choice revolves around how long you are prepared to keep the car? My standard MB system on the 500E is still original after 12 years and 222k mls, so the quality can't be too bad.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you are only going to replace the back box, then I would use an MB, as said here they do last a long time.

Malcolm

Top Bottom