Faulty light bulb indicator problem

MOB

Reaction score
The faulty bulb indicator lamp on my dash is coming on after driving a short distance, when I stop and switch off and back on ignition it goes off?? I have checked all the exterior lights while fault lamp on and have found all lights on and funtioning normally.
Any idea??

Martin
1997 E200

OP
M

MOB

Reaction score
May have, will have to check, it does not happen all the time for example came on when leaving work yesterday, parked car and went out later and did not come on ( I used brakes as you do!!!!). I will watch this evening and advise, is there something I should look for?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If it's intermittent and the bulbs look ok then either you have a bulb on the way out or else the contacts need some tlc.
I had a similar issue on my 2000 E class a couple of years ago. Warning light would come on but the bulbs all looked fine. I changed the bulbs anyway but it didn't solve it. I then removed one bulb, tweaked the contacts up a bit, cleaned them with a bit of wire wool and popped the bulb back. That brake light was suddenly twice as bright as the other side. Did the other side and never heard from it again.
On my current E there's no longer any access to the tail lights. I assume the bulbs must be LED - I just hope they behave themselves!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The bulb contacts on the 210 series do have a tendancy to oxidise. If you clean up the contact on the back of the bulbs and clean the contacts in the holder as per jberks above you should be ok for awhile.

nialler

Reaction score
While we're at it, I get the message Right Indicator Reflector - Check Lamp on w220 year 2000, where and what is it, there's nothing in the manual about it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
nialler said:
While we're at it, I get the message Right Indicator Reflector - Check Lamp on w220 year 2000, where and what is it, there's nothing in the manual about it.
Do all 3 indicators on the right work?

nialler

Reaction score
Howya Blobcat

Front and rear are fine, the mirror on the other hand nearest the driver there's about 11 little circular lamps 9 (3 x 3) of which are in a square the bottom 3 appear out, not sure if this is correct and is the entire panel supposed to light up right out to the edge of the mirror?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All the LED's in the door mirror should work, have you compared it against the passenger side mirror?

nialler

Reaction score
yup checked it against the left all are lighting, though the control unit for the left needs to be replaced as it's a bit spasmodic, a bit like the passenger seat, deus ex machina (is that how ya say it).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you wind the mirror all the way in (I think you have a S320CDI) the outer cover should pop off fairly easily. As they are LED's they are generally reliable so it may just be a track break rather than an LED failure. If you have soldering skils then it may be worth looking for a break on the board and repairing it.

OP
M

MOB

Reaction score
Cleaned all contact on indicators, break lights etc, (did not do headlights, dip or front fogs) both rear side lights (5W bulb) where "black" althought where working, so I changed out. Warning light has not come on since so fingers crossed.
Thanks for the advice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Anyweb asked, when the lamp comes on when you are driving, it will be a brake lamp failure,

Re the wing mirror, to get to the LED PCB the whole mirror needs to be dismantled, its easier to remove the cover on the inside, undo the 3 screws, un plug and take it indoors to take it apart, you start with taking out the glasss, wire clip along the top, then every screw, it is a tatal dismantle to get to it.

Malcolm

OP
M

MOB

Reaction score
The brake light bulbs where fine, is there anything else I should check???

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom