Fitting a Comand

chrisy5555

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a 54 plate E220 and would like to fit a comand
I have found one and it will be coming soon, my question is
how hard are they to fit? is it just a case of pulling my standard single cd player out and plugging a gps antenna in and away we go or is there more to it ??

anyone who knows i would be very greatful for your help and advise

thanks
chris

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Chris, there is a little more to it than that,we have have a good guy called Alfie,he will see your post and give you your answer.

Malcolm

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Chris,
wait for Alfie, but .... I assume you have an Audio20 cd at present. I'm afraid, its really not that easy. The audio20cd equipped cars have their audio integrated into the head unit. Audio20 tape, Audio50 and command cars have a separate audio gateway. So, you'll need the gateway (around £400 I beleive) and allegedly quite a job to install.
Hopefully I'm wrong but I looked into it for mine and gave up on the idea quite quickly.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hello everyone
I have a 54 plate E220 and would like to fit a comand
I have found one and it will be coming soon, my question is
how hard are they to fit? is it just a case of pulling my standard single cd player out and plugging a gps antenna in and away we go or is there more to it ??

anyone who knows i would be very greatful for your help and advise

thanks
chris

If you already have the Audio 50 or a casette player then it should be a straight swap :( . It all comes down to whether you have an audio gateway in the car or not already. If you do, then its a straight swap. If not, you are going to need one, along with the navigation drive, a lot of wiring and a lot of time installing it! Cars with a single CD player do not have the audio gateway! Sorry.

OP
C

chrisy5555

Reaction score
thanks for replying
i was speaking to a friend who said it should be quite easy said i might just need the speed pulse wires which i have running a taxi meter at the moment so hopefully that might work
what exactly is an audio gateway?
thanks again you guys are the best !!
chris

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Sadly, your friend is wrong. The Audio gateway as I understand it, is where all the sound is routed. There are no amps etc in the head unit and a network interface to the audio system. The Audio20cd has the amp built in.
On the upside, I was having another look at Braybrooks price list http://www.braybrooks.co.uk/MB E211.pdf. There used to be a > £400 difference between the two systems. Now there seems to be £100+vat! The rest of the price is primarily for the command unit itself (£2k retail) so if you've got yourself one already, then presumably, Barybrookes have sorted out some solution to all the rewiring and gateway kit for a lot less than it used to be.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Sadly, your friend is wrong. The Audio gateway as I understand it, is where all the sound is routed. There are no amps etc in the head unit and a network interface to the audio system. The Audio20cd has the amp built in.
On the upside, I was having another look at Braybrooks price list http://www.braybrooks.co.uk/MB E211.pdf. There used to be a > £400 difference between the two systems. Now there seems to be £100+vat! The rest of the price is primarily for the command unit itself (£2k retail) so if you've got yourself one already, then presumably, Barybrookes have sorted out some solution to all the rewiring and gateway kit for a lot less than it used to be.

I agree, your friend is wrong.

If you have the unit already, I know a man who can/will install it for you for a lot less than Braybrooks will charge! I will email/PM you the contact details.

OP
C

chrisy5555

Reaction score
Yeah my friend was wrong i need this audio gateway found them cheap on ebay but decided just to get a normal tv instead
now the job of getting my standard radio out looks like it doesnt want to come out easy
thanks for your advice guys i would be out of pocket and wasted alot of time without your help

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom