fuel consumption

andrew3891

Reaction score
Hi all,

my 1992 190E is running very, very expensively. (it's a 1.8 ). There is a strong smell of fuel when i leave it running and when i have just switched it off, coming from the exhaust. could this be something as simple the timing? at the moment i'm getting about 120-140 miles per 20litres, but only if i drive it really really sensibly and slowly. 100 miles per 20 litres if i drive it normally or at speeds of 80+ on the motorway.

Any help appreciated.

Stevie A

Reaction score
I read about a bloke in Belgium with a 1.8 190E with high fuel consumption and it was a faulty fuel distributor that caused it.

Or maybe you could just have a fuel leak?

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
if there's unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust it will destroy your cat - not sure what your problem might be (leaking injectors, fuel distributor as mentioned by other reply) ... but you need to drive it as little as possible until a fix is found, as cats can be expensive ...

Steve-O

Reaction score
What is the normal fuel consumption of a 1.8 190E ?? I have a 1991 model and for every £20 (about 22 litres of fuel) I used to get 90 miles out of it in town. Now that I have had a Rage Stainless Steel Ehaust fitted and the centre Silencer removed and replaced with straight pipe I get 115 miles in town.

Is 90 - 115 miles in town for 22 litres of fuel normal (heavy traffic half the time, lots of stopping and starting) ?

OP
A

andrew3891

Reaction score
need to get it serviced anyway, will have them take a look at things for me. ****** car's.
not sure of normal consumption, in town i get less than 90 for 20 quid. i'm just driving it really slowly at the mo. although will now be cutting down on that. doh.

thanks for the info

diy_dan

Reaction score
flagstaff said:
if there's unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust it will destroy your cat - not sure what your problem might be (leaking injectors, fuel distributor as mentioned by other reply) ... but you need to drive it as little as possible until a fix is found, as cats can be expensive ...
CAT? what cat? sound like your cold start soliniod (spelling) could be stuck in the on position. had that happen once on an audi 100

Stevie A

Reaction score
diy_dan said:
CAT? what cat? sound like your cold start soliniod (spelling) could be stuck in the on position. had that happen once on an audi 100

Some 190's do have cats. Check fuel type trim knob and if it says KAT on it then the car has a CAT.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom