Gear box Mount?

230ceBruno

Reaction score
There is a bush/mount I saw underneath the gear box, btwn it and a panel while inspecting the propshaft. It seems to be worn. Does this affect shifting? Is it a DIY job to change it?

Also what is a steering idler arm what does it do?

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
There is a bush/mount I saw underneath the gear box, btwn it and a panel while inspecting the propshaft. It seems to be worn. Does this affect shifting? Is it a DIY job to change it?

Also what is a steering idler arm what does it do?
This is a little complex as the idler arm is quite simply what it says an idler, the main arm is called a pitman arm and the idler follows it on the opposite side. Its a bit like a slave.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
All

Vague steering ?

I guess not a lot of people have really determined the number of points on the typical 80's/90's Mercs that can affect the precision (or otherwise) of the steering feel when driving on the road.

There are in fact 13 items/joints etc between your hands on the steering wheel and the tyres on the road, that if worn or not correctly adjusted can cause the steering to feel sloppy.

If anyone can list them all, then congratulations are in order.

Anyone have a go ?????????????

If nothing else it way point a few people in the right direction when tuning their car for the optimum designed performance.

Last edited:

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com

The bush/mount under the transmission is for stability and vibration. It does not effect shifting of the transmission.

Yes, this can be a DIY job just support your transmission when performing this application.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
All

Vague steering ?

I guess not a lot of people have really determined the number of points on the typical 80's/90's Mercs that can affect the precision (or otherwise) of the steering feel when driving on the road.

There are in fact 13 items/joints etc between your hands on the steering wheel and the tyres on the road, that if worn or not correctly adjusted can cause the steering to feel sloppy.

If anyone can list them all, then congratulations are in order.

Anyone have a go ?????????????

If nothing else it way point a few people in the right direction when tuning their car for the optimum designed performance.

OK, Ill take up that challenge.
1. Track rod ends
2. Centre tie bar
3. Steering shock absorber (140 range)
4. Pitman Arm
5. Idler Arm
6. Lower control arm
7. upper control arm
8. Camber
9. Toe in/Toe out
10. Tyre pressure
11. Tyre wear
12. PML Valve (140 range)
13. ABC (220 range)
14. Steering rack (220 range)
15. Lower control arm bushings (140 range)
16. Upper swivel joint
17. Lower swivel joint
18. Lower steering column Universal joint
19. Airmatic (220/221 range)
20. Steering pump (140/220/221)
21. Steering pump pipes all ranges.
22. Upper suspension units with the wrong pad setting ie 1 2 3 cuts in the pads (140 range).
23. Broken or damaged springs.
24. Airmatic pump. (220 range)
25. Airmatic valves (220/221/230 range)
26. Steering box (140 range)
27. Body damage and bad repair.
28. Airmatic control units (220 range)
29. Wiring problems Airmatic (220 range)
30. Airmatic Relay (220/221 range)
31. Suspension (general) 126 range
32. Known defects (129 range)
I think ive covered your thirteen points here, but if ive missed something pray tell. thanks;)

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
eric

Seems good to me - that's why it is very hard when someone asks for advice when they say their steering seems sloppy. It is a regular point of disatisfaction with older cars.

"My steering seems sloppy - what could be the problem?"

No one has ever produced a list like that in the many years I have been on the forum.

So, if the question was posed to you, where would you start, and how would you go about deciding what the problem was ?

lakeside

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124/1996/280
The only sure way is to replace the whole ****** lot, either a bit at a time, or in one big bushing binge. Depends on how deep the wallet is.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
With a W124 I'd do the following in this order:

* replace front ARB bushes
* replace balljoints
* check springs
* replace steering idler

* replace all tyres
* bush check entire car front & rear & replace as needed
* optical alignment

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
eric

Seems good to me - that's why it is very hard when someone asks for advice when they say their steering seems sloppy. It is a regular point of disatisfaction with older cars.

"My steering seems sloppy - what could be the problem?"

No one has ever produced a list like that in the many years I have been on the forum.

So, if the question was posed to you, where would you start, and how would you go about deciding what the problem was ?
I would start with a simple examination of the steering to see if there are any worn/damaged parts that need changing. You can see from my list there is no end of possibiities, depending upon model and year. Believe me I could of added another sixty possible items. But start with the basics and its normally obvious to most mechanics. The Bushings on the lower control arm are a favorite. Lower swivel joint and upper swivel joint. Track rod ends and steering geometry. Personally I would get a garage, who have knowledge of the Benz system, to do a basic inspection for you and go from there. I hope this helps.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
The only sure way is to replace the whole ****** lot, either a bit at a time, or in one big bushing binge. Depends on how deep the wallet is.
If this were the case, and im sure its not, then I would send the Bank Manager to negotiate terms:D :D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom