GLC full lock issues

Chadwick.mfinternational

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
gLc
New GLC "tramps and chunks" if on full lock either reverse or forward. Are the Yokohama run flats a factor or is there another reason.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Get this on my A6 at full lock on it's Bridgestone 20's- quite common

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
What is PU Consultant?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
New GLC "tramps and chunks" if on full lock either reverse or forward. Are the Yokohama run flats a factor or is there another reason.

probably because they have so much lock they start to drag wheels slightly.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

Is it a 4-Matic?

Just had to sort my GF's XC60 out as it was dragging a wheel, especially when cold.

Turned out to be an oil feed issue in the rear axle (for which there was a Technical Bulletin apparently), and also the all-wheel drive unit was replaced.

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
If it's anything like our issue was, you've described it quite well with tramping.

It was a real shudder, and felt like a wheel was skipping.

I could only describe it to the dealer as like a locking diff on a Defender (other 4x4s are available!), that has stuck on and you're trying to turn on a hard surface.

Sounds like a diff / Haldex clutch unit problem (I assume it's Haldex in these).

Only other thing I can think - any signs of the tyres rubbing on inner arch / wheel arch liner?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
With the Bridgestones I felt it was as simple as the fact they are rock solid especially on the shoulders and the tread pattern there skips on full lock

wheels-inmotion

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
It's just the nature of the beast i'm afraid and nothing to worry about. The angle in question is TOOT "Toe-Out-On-Turns" meaning the difference in lock between the inner and outer wheels on lock. The difference is accentuated by adding more lock so in day to day driving you wouldn't notice the condition.

TOOT is not geometrically adjustable but some models of MB have adjustable "lock stops" fitted on the hub which restrict the overall lock.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It's just the nature of the beast i'm afraid and nothing to worry about. The angle in question is TOOT "Toe-Out-On-Turns" meaning the difference in lock between the inner and outer wheels on lock. The difference is accentuated by adding more lock so in day to day driving you wouldn't notice the condition.

TOOT is not geometrically adjustable but some models of MB have adjustable "lock stops" fitted on the hub which restrict the overall lock.

Great information thanks!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
It's just the nature of the beast i'm afraid and nothing to worry about.

Other have suggested that but MB took a car back off one member (either here or the other forum).

Most GLC's seem to do it, but not all.

wheels-inmotion

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Again that could be explained if on some of the cars the lock-stops are worn and they do wear hence the reason their adjustable.

I do understand the concern though because the feeling of a tyre skipping sideways is unnerving.... On our Drift cars we remove the TOOT angle because Drift cars on track don't turn so to speak but trying to do so without TOOT is scary.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom