Good MO tyres to recommend?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Tyres came with car 5 months ago (it is 2012 model) so don't know how new they were. At the winter check each front tyre was 5 mm 47% worn and each rear tyre was 6 mm 31% worn. Today the report was front 4 mm 62% worn and rear 5 mm 47% worn. Mileage was 17,341 and is now 18,169.

Presumably calculated as % of usable tread (8 mm - 1.6 mm legal minimum).

my point is though that not all tyres have 8mm tread on when new. some have 7, some may have a little more than 8 (i know the uniroyals (i think with the shark skin thing) we had fitted to our works car appeared to have a HUGE amount of tread on them, although i didnt measure them at the time. next set, if we replace with the same, i WILL measure just to see whats on them

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Hankook K117 for 225/45R17 - £69.00.
Is that a good price?

Also any comments about getting tyres changed in Halfords?
I hear stories about Kwikfit and Halfords - I have to say... not great so I thought tyres might be fine.
Better ask the crowd.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The hardest thing is finding someone that can balance the wheels correctly, not a bad price on the tyres at all.

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
The hardest thing is finding someone that can balance the wheels correctly, not a bad price on the tyres at all.

Ah right. I always thought all it needs is a good balancing machine.

Basically at the moment, Halfords is doing a promo on Michelin Primacy HP GRNX MO (225/45 R17 91W). I think it's just under £85?
I don't think that promo will go on for another month or so.

I regularly checked the front ones, till got some thread left.
I check based on the tread groove.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah right. I always thought all it needs is a good balancing machine.

Basically at the moment, Halfords is doing a promo on Michelin Primacy HP GRNX MO (225/45 R17 91W). I think it's just under £85?
I don't think that promo will go on for another month or so.

I regularly checked the front ones, till got some thread left.
I check based on the tread groove.

Those tyres might now only come with the 7mm of thread, the normal is 8mm.

Re the balance machine, it is more the operator that does it wrong, it can require quite a few wheel spins to get it right.

I watched a quickfit do a wheel. He put it on the machine,spun the wheel, stuck on 2 weights and took the wheel off again as done, that is shocking and probably not balanced at all.

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Those tyres might now only come with the 7mm of thread, the normal is 8mm.

Re the balance machine, it is more the operator that does it wrong, it can require quite a few wheel spins to get it right.

I watched a quickfit do a wheel. He put it on the machine,spun the wheel, stuck on 2 weights and took the wheel off again as done, that is shocking and probably not balanced at all.

Ah right. Can they do that? Sell you with 7mm now?!
Shocking.

I am trying to find something that is good for the money which will last.
I know everyone in this post been talking about Falken and other brands.
I'm looking for something more durable as I don't "tend" to take it for a spin as my wife drives it more now.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah right. Can they do that? Sell you with 7mm now?!
Shocking.

I am trying to find something that is good for the money which will last.
I know everyone in this post been talking about Falken and other brands.
I'm looking for something more durable as I don't "tend" to take it for a spin as my wife drives it more now.

Pirelli are doing the same with 7mm, many many tyre threads on here.. there are many brands in the budget bracket that are good, I do not know them all.

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Pirelli are doing the same with 7mm, many many tyre threads on here.. there are many brands in the budget bracket that are good, I do not know them all.

I tend to check reviews for the brand found but sometimes I get nothing.
I assume it's all Michelin and Pirelli tyres that is 7mm, and not just the MO ones.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I tend to check reviews for the brand found but sometimes I get nothing.
I assume it's all Michelin and Pirelli tyres that is 7mm, and not just the MO ones.

That is too hard a question, please ring the tyre supplier and ask the depth of the tread from new of the MO tyres.

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
That's what Michelin customer service reply was

The nominal tread depth on Primacy HP is 8mm in the central area of the tyre. Please note that this measurement is nominal in that there can be a variation from tyre size to tyre size within a range due to different products used underneath the tread depending on the application of the tyre.

Often the outer grooves of a tyre have a lower original tread depth than the central area. This is normal and is often the way the tyres are designed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's what Michelin customer service reply was

The nominal tread depth on Primacy HP is 8mm in the central area of the tyre. Please note that this measurement is nominal in that there can be a variation from tyre size to tyre size within a range due to different products used underneath the tread depending on the application of the tyre.

Often the outer grooves of a tyre have a lower original tread depth than the central area. This is normal and is often the way the tyres are designed.

I have just been down to my store and measured 4 Michelin Primacy HP tyres size 255 x 45 x 18 and they all have 7mm of tread over the whole width, that measurement is within 001mm

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
I have just been down to my store and measured 4 Michelin Primacy HP tyres size 255 x 45 x 18 and they all have 7mm of tread over the whole width, that measurement is within 001mm

Your store? Maybe I could get some tyres from you. ;-)

That's contradicting what they just told me!
I'm surprised that companies are allowed to do that.
1mm is a lot in terms of a tyre lifetime.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In this country they don't have to disclose that, nor the expected life/wear. In the US they have the complete opposite- folks there look for 60k mile guarantees and such. Tyres are crap for driving on mind!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps Michelin would like the pictures

DSC01406_zpszijh7vbu.jpg

DSC01407_zps4pbrj7vg.jpg

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
You don't have any 255/35/19 lying around Malcolm do you?
Bee told it doesn't matter what I put on the car I can only expect 12k or so miles out of the tyres!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bee told it doesn't matter what I put on the car I can only expect 12k or so miles out of the tyres!

These are for my 216, no others, sorry.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

I got a comfortable 18k out of the Contis that came on my CLS 320 CDI... and they had a good 3-5k left on them when I sold it.

Would've got a good 10k out of the CS3 on the back of this one if nails hadn't interrupted proceedings!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I am trying to find something that is good for the money which will last. I know everyone in this post been talking about Falken and other brands.

What makes you think the Falken ZE914 is not durable? It's a better tyre than the Michelin Primacy & will last longer too.

Russ

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Falken's are a reasonable mid range tyre and should do 20k+ miles for an average driver.

OP
E

erickh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
What makes you think the Falken ZE914 is not durable? It's a better tyre than the Michelin Primacy & will last longer too.

Russ

I'm sure they are. I'm not saying they are not.
I only asked because recently Halfords does a promotion with "Michelin Primacy HP GRNX MO (225/45 R17 91W)" tyres hence why I was comparing.

If it's the full price, I will not consider Michelin Primacy HP GRNX MO (225/45 R17 91W).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom