Greetings from DownUnder

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBSIX.3

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be moving to London (City) on business in January or February, and am trying to decide whether to bring my very nice LHD 1971 300 SEL 6.3 with me or not.

We plan to stay for up to 5, possibly 10 years.

This car was imported by me from Chicago in July, well before the plan to head north.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

Would initially (at least) be looking for an "out of town" home for the car, as we look like living very close to work.

Regards

David Byrne
(Ex) Motoring Officer
Mercedes Benz Club of Victoria

mjtray

Reaction score
Hmmm.....depends whether you are going to have a garage for it. If not it will just rust away in this damp climate.

Secondly fuel costs.....at 80p a litre its not going to be cheap to run.

Thirdly, if its going to be parked some distance away from you, are you going to get the opportunity to use it that much?

Just out of interest, I notice that its LHD.....I read somewhere years ago that in Australia they will not allow people to register LHD cars to use on the public highway....obviously this was rubbish what I read or is it New Zealand that this applies to?

OP
M

MBSIX.3

Reaction score
Hi There and thanks for the response,

First, If I do bring this car with me, it would be to drive (now and then) and sell later; or sell SOONER, and buy something smaller and/or newer.

What is the market like for great looking, great running 6.3's?? Deep Red (576G) with Parchment interior.

This is in VERY good condition, mechanically, body and interior.

If the first, ie keep and drive, I would be seeking storage/garage "out of town". Is this available, and at what sort of prices??

As for LHD not being able to be driven in Oz........not so! Provided the car is more than 30 years old, No Worries at all. That's been since 1999 in the Victoria.

I do get a few looks, and I've even been known to go to the passenger side by mistake, but otherwise, no problems at all.

Looking forward to joining the club on my arrival.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I worked for a a firm in early 70s...boss had a 1970 300SEL 3.5.......its still on the road and to this day is the nicest car I have ever liked, apart from the Pagoda....and the XKR convertible. Enjoy it, the 6.3 is rare and a gem.

Mind you....my nice gold 4 pot Honda [a bit modified admittedly] had only two wheels and was a damn site quicker.....

mjtray

Reaction score
Re garage renting costs.....Sorry, I have no experience of costs re renting of garages......all I do know is that they are hard to find.

Re market for your car in the UK....not that great due to LHD and petrol costs.

Just saw a mint 1979 96,000 mile, one owner, 6.9 SEL go through auction for £3200...... OK I know its not a like for like model, but it gives you an idea

You may want to keep an eye on e-bay Germany and see what prices LHD 6.3's go for (if they come up that is!)

OP
M

MBSIX.3

Reaction score
So what chance of around 12,000 to 15,000 Pounds??

Also, what issues regarding Compliance/Testing/Roadworthy/Emissions etc??

mjtray

Reaction score
Re £12-15,000......regretably I think there is very little chance of your car making that sort of money in the UK for all of the reasons discussed....I reckon your best bet would be to try and sell it in Germany/Mainland Europe if you can find an effective way of doing that...e-bay....classic car mags etc

Re compliance....your car will need to undertake an annual MOT....this is a legal reuirement of all cars registered to use the road in the UK and its a comprehensive safety check (braking, body corrosion, safety, lighting, etc etc) and emissions check....as long as your car has been maintained correctly I see no issue with your car on emissions.

Being a 1971 car you will not have to pay annual road tax of £165

Cheers

Banned
Reaction score
There is no emission check in the UK for pre 1973 cars there is only a visual check on them for blue smoke i.e. burning oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom