Guttmann brake discs.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Aftermarket manufacturer Tom, No OE content at all. Lovely sounding German Brand - made in Italy - actually locatated in the Brake Disk Capital of the world - Brescia, which is in Northern Italy's Industrial Zone - been there got the the T Shirt. Quality probably middle of the road - there are dozens of similar companies in that area...

OP
tom7035

tom7035

Reaction score
Thanks for that David, certainly didn't realise they were Italian. (Should be very efficient at least going backwards then! :)) I appreciated the no OE part OK, just curious to see if anyone here had used them.
Due to a combination of vehicle age, not a lot of motorway driving up here and a bank account which is not of the 'no expense spared' type, have decided to give them a try. Stocked by ECP so I imagine can't be too bad.

martthefart

Reaction score
Brake Discs

Why don't you try the main dealer discs. They are only about £25.00 each and you know they will be the right ones for the car. That said, if you do go main dealer, make sure they give you the rights one as on their computer they list the same disc for the C-Class. This is the wrong one as it has a hole missing where a stud fits through. Get them to make sure you get the old style disc and not the new C-Class disc!!

Happy motoring ;)

OP
tom7035

tom7035

Reaction score
martthefart said:
Why don't you try the main dealer discs. They are only about £25.00 each and you know they will be the right ones for the car. That said, if you do go main dealer, make sure they give you the rights one as on their computer they list the same disc for the C-Class. This is the wrong one as it has a hole missing where a stud fits through. Get them to make sure you get the old style disc and not the new C-Class disc!!

Happy motoring ;)
Thanks for that, but my nearest dealership needed £36 each (plus a 40 mile round trip). I just got the Guttmann at half that price. So long as they run true should last me a long time!
Cheers.

OP
tom7035

tom7035

Reaction score
tom7035 said:
Thanks for that, but my nearest dealership needed £36 each (plus a 40 mile round trip). I just got the Guttmann at half that price. So long as they run true should last me a long time!
Cheers.
Just unwrapped the parcel and found they are in fact branded 'EICHER'. Label states 'Approved Original Equipment Replacement' (?) (Took me by surprise just how heavy they are - like a pair of flywheels!)
Oh, well .............. we'll see.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Hmmmm, have a feeling those are made in india Tom. I wonder what "approved original equipment replacement" means! - and I wonder who approved them ! Long live marketing.....

MW

Reaction score
Interesting, now you have them go for it. Be interested in the performance.
My 124, 1992 230E had Textar OE disks and pads put on it at about 325 per disk, from ECP. Perfect, factory performance.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Used them for 20k miles on a 190 they are still good even though the old luv is now going to get killed off due to bad rusty bits under the rear seats at the ends of the sills, should have been looked after some years ago. sad about it realy.

bustabloodklaart

Reaction score
You could always go to euro's spend a couple quid more and get some ATE's
very good disc's and all you really need to know is.....look carefully at the next set of genuine Merc brake pads you buy and you'll see ATE embossed on them.
Good luck
P.S.Guttmanns are ok/just not as long lived.

MW

Reaction score
Or Textar at £25 at ECP. They also can have an MB stay on the back of them

OP
tom7035

tom7035

Reaction score
tom7035 said:
Will report back on their performance in due course (provided I can get the old ones separated from the blo-dy hubs in the meantime)!!:-(
Well, early days but EICHER discs performing perfectly, no vibrations or lumpiness on the pedal. Don't think I'll be in a position to see how many sets of pads they will see off though!

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
I fitted gutman to my 190D and did 20k miles without trouble, I now have a 250D and the gutman ones I put on the front when I got it have done 14k without trouble.
Got them from euro parts, My main dealer sent me there because he could not even get close to their prices.
All 3 engine filters 4 disks 4 pair of pads & all the hand brake shoe stuff for £104, suits me fine.

Top Bottom