Had Enough

MB partsman

Reaction score
well, I have now had enough of the crap service im suposed to give...
i now no longer work as a MB partsman
the final straw, was being TOLD to upsell..... in my book RIP customers OFF
that i will never do!
I will be keeping an eye in here from time to time, and i do still have contacts within MB as well as 15 years of working with the once great star
BTW anyone seen the CLS in the flesh yet?
lovely looking car BUT mind ya head getting in and out... and hope you dont use the nearside mirror!
take care out there folks
TTFN

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
nope...Lexus no need parts men......they got all happy custoemrs who have cars that keep going....when did you last see one broken down????

No reflection on MB Partsman, he seems one of the more honest ones out there and I respect him for saying what he just said.

Whatever about the CLS [I think it is painfully ugly and horrific looking] I would love one of the new R class with a good diesel engine [320/400 CDI] but the reputation of the service is a big offput. I think it would take a 5 year warranty to get me into one. You can buy any other make of car and reasonably expect a lot more reliability than you would get from a Merc. I do over 22k a year, expect to reach 100k by year 5....but it seems Mercs are not up to that kind of driving whereas the cheapest Japanese car can manage it with ease and without much by way of repair bills.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
I would like to echo the sentiments expressed previously about MB partsman in turning his back on the marque after being committed to it for so many years. I wonder whether others in his position feel the same way but for one reason or another choose to stay with MB? I used to think MBs sold purely on their reputation and 'upselling' was unnecessary. Now I think differently.

Yes ... Japanese cars are good, very good. My Celica died after 18 years reliable service and broke down only the once at around 160,000 miles. It rarely needed parts, just the usual service items. When it finally gave up due to engine bearing failure it still had enough motive power to limp to the breakers.

The Toyota dealership where I bought the Celica and had it serviced, didn't need to 'upsell' their cars, the marque's reputation for reliability did that.

I fancied a Lexus and JD Power (America) was very complimentary of the original LS400. Incidentally, a good place to look for recommendations. I saw one at the dealership where I bought my MB. It was a face-lifted model in pristine condition for its age but it is a BIG car. I was tempted but chose the MB instead. The Lexus would probably prove to be more reliable than an MB and better value too. All the Jap' lacks is image. But I don't buy cars for image, I buy them for reliability and longevity and, hopefully, lowish running costs. On balance, I judged the MB to be the better long term investment.

I perceive Lexus to be an upmarket Toyota and once encountered a rare Toyota Soarer which I nearly bought. It was an import (95), under £5k. It was solidly built, reminiscent of MB in many ways. Under the skin it was a V8 Jap musclecar similar in outline to the pram-handled Supra but without the ridiculous spoiler. It also had all the toys which MBs lack. New it would have been worth >£40K, almost twice my C-class.

I bought my MB on the strength of the marque's reputation but as I now realise, thanks to this Forum, this may only be skin deep. At one time this reputation was much deeper. Is this reputation now tarnished, forever?

I wonder if Mercedes-Benz is in MB partsman's blood? Will he always have an affection for the marque despite the change in its fortune? I tend to think so because he MB partsman intends to revisit this website.

All the best 'MB partsman'.

REGARDS Phil

turnipsock

Reaction score
I have had nothing but real help from the parts guys at John Weir's in Grangemouth. They let me go through the back and look at the screen to find the correct parts. They sometimes forget to charge me and I always think they must hate me as I come in with a list of minor nuts and bolts.

I guess if a dealer wants a lot of business they are good to their customers...if they want to make money (short term) they will just rip the customers of.

So far, all the stuff I have bought isn't that expensive. They are proper MB parts and aren't much more than imitation stuff.

guydewdney

Reaction score
Website
www.atct.co.uk
i find it amusing that i tell the guy at the parts counter how o use the EPC system sometimes...

and im self taught on a US system!! in the UK!

no training, no edukashun, snotty customers - i dont blame them for leaving ;)

OP
M

MB partsman

Reaction score
funny you should say that.......

yes... i will be keeping my eye in here
and... im now working with jap!
and...ive seen the so called partsmen how cant use an epc!
and...ill not say i wont go back to mb one day
i did leave mb before and went back after a few years.... i do have to agree with some on here, mercs died with the 124....i was bought up on the 115, 123, 116. 107's an all!
ive even sorted bits on a gullwing! <and sat in it!>

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom