Heavy Steering on C220 w203

dmc

Reaction score
I recently had my front tyres replaced with some Conti Premium Contact 2 205/55/r16 (previously sport contact 2's) due to crap wear after less than a year. Anyway, although I feel a lot safer on the road, the steering seems much heavier, as if the power steering is degraded in some way.

I noticed prior to changing the tyres, when trying to park in a hospital mutistorey, putting it into full lock either way, it made a screeching, knocking noise. To me it sounds like a belt slipping, but as always, when checking things up on t'internet, you get conflicting opinions. The steering felt light and normal.

As per suggestions on other posts, i have checked the PAS reservoir and that is fine, indicating no leaks ( I have checked this over a weekly period) and there are no stains on my driveway.

This obvious answer is that it is something to do with the tyres, but to be honest, the actual drive is very good, being quiet and the tracking showing no bias to left or right, just more effort is required to move the wheel. I am just a bit concerned about the knocking noise when on full lock. I don't want to waste my time and money taking the car into the dealership for them to tell me to get new tyres !

Thanks for any ideas
Danny

2002 C220 CDI Avantgarde W203

Ian Brown

Banned
Reaction score
dmc said:
I recently had my front tyres replaced with some Conti Premium Contact 2 205/55/r16 (previously sport contact 2's) due to crap wear after less than a year. Anyway, although I feel a lot safer on the road, the steering seems much heavier, as if the power steering is degraded in some way.

I noticed prior to changing the tyres, when trying to park in a hospital mutistorey, putting it into full lock either way, it made a screeching, knocking noise. To me it sounds like a belt slipping, but as always, when checking things up on t'internet, you get conflicting opinions. The steering felt light and normal.

As per suggestions on other posts, i have checked the PAS reservoir and that is fine, indicating no leaks ( I have checked this over a weekly period) and there are no stains on my driveway.

This obvious answer is that it is something to do with the tyres, but to be honest, the actual drive is very good, being quiet and the tracking showing no bias to left or right, just more effort is required to move the wheel. I am just a bit concerned about the knocking noise when on full lock. I don't want to waste my time and money taking the car into the dealership for them to tell me to get new tyres !

Thanks for any ideas
Danny

2002 C220 CDI Avantgarde W203

First check the tyre pressures and then the ball joints.

OP
D

dmc

Reaction score
Tyre pressure at 32psi, so certainly noral in that respect. What do I check for on the ball joints ?

Thanks

turnipsock

Reaction score
If you have a different type of trye on the rear...try them on the front.

Putting on full lock is not a good idea, also turning the wheel while stationary is also not good as it puts a huge load on the steering components (try turing the steering with the engine off)

New tyres need a bit of time to settle in. The blocks of rubber need to be rounded off. You are better to fit new tyres to the rear of the car.

QUOMAN

Reaction score
Website
WWW.GREENWICHCARPARTS.BIZ
turnipsock said:
If you have a different type of trye on the rear...try them on the front.

Putting on full lock is not a good idea, also turning the wheel while stationary is also not good as it puts a huge load on the steering components (try turing the steering with the engine off)

so, turning the wheel with the engine on (and assissted) puts more load on the steering box than trying to pull the wheel round(using both hands!)with the engine off! (no assisstance):shock:
here at power steering services we find it very difficult diagnosing a fault with the POWER STEERING if in fact its turned OFF !!!!!:confused:
The first paragraph,however, did make sense
i dont mean to offend.;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
so, turning the wheel with the engine on (and assissted) puts more load on the steering box than trying to pull the wheel round(using both hands!)with the engine off! (no assisstance):shock:
here at power steering services we find it very difficult diagnosing a fault with the POWER STEERING if in fact its turned OFF !!!!!:confused:
The first paragraph,however, did make sense
i dont mean to offend.;)[/QUOTE]

I read it the way it was intended, that was,turn the engine off and feel how hard it is to turn the steering wheel, and not as a means of testing the steering in any way.

Malcolm

QUOMAN

Reaction score
Website
putting a vehicle on full lock is not a good idea.... why not? how long do you intend holding it there?
" I read it the way it was intended, that was,turn the engine off and feel how hard it is to turn the steering wheel, and not as a means of testing the steering in any way."

so his point was? as you you quite rightly say.. it aint no test!
im sure the fella wants to know how to test it.

tom7035

Reaction score
QUOMAN. We undoubtedly appreciate your input and your possible experience so far as power steering is concened, but a touch less arrogance I think would endear you to our members a little more! (IMO).

OP
D

dmc

Reaction score
Solved it

Chaps, Thanks for all your input and ideas.

In the end I took it to the local MB dealer, and let them have a look at it. Turns out that an alternator pulley was faulty causing the belt to vibrate and slip, therefore making the noise when on full lock. I'm just paraphasing the mechanic here, so hopefully it makes sense ! :)

Luckily (?!) they had one in stock and replaced it, and steering feels normal and noise is gone when on full lock. Piece of mind at last !

BTW, how are you supposed to manouevre into tight spaces if you don't use full lock ? 15 point turn ? ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
dmc said:
Chaps, Thanks for all your input and ideas.

In the end I took it to the local MB dealer, and let them have a look at it. Turns out that an alternator pulley was faulty causing the belt to vibrate and slip, therefore making the noise when on full lock. I'm just paraphasing the mechanic here, so hopefully it makes sense ! :)

Luckily (?!) they had one in stock and replaced it, and steering feels normal and noise is gone when on full lock. Piece of mind at last !

BTW, how are you supposed to manouevre into tight spaces if you don't use full lock ? 15 point turn ? ;)

Ignore the comments he was just picking holes in people's postings,and offered nothing usefull to the thread
We all use full lock, for instance waiting to pull out from parked into the traffic flow, where one can sit for several minutes.
I am so pleased for one, that your car is fixed, enjoy it.

Malcolm

turnipsock

Reaction score
QUOMAN said:
i suppose it depends onhow you read it. it wasnt designed with arrogance in mind. sounds like we can all read things the "wrong"way,but then i did contradict 2 senior members and a mod!!!!(light hearted banter)!!

I wasn't meaning turning the engine off as a means off testing. I was just trying to highlight how much load is really on a steering system. Try turning the steering on a stationary car on full slicks and you find this is almost impossible.

You can still use full lock, just don't force it against the end stops for no reason, a degree or two short of full lock will not make much difference to your manouvering ability but will increase the life of your steering system.

QUOMAN

Reaction score
Website
We all use full lock, for instance waiting to pull out from parked into the traffic flow, where one can sit for several minutes.

my point. testing power steering can involve holding the wheel on FULL lock for some period of time, but not,obviously, to the extent that the pump starts to lose pressure and the oil get very hot. there is nothing wrongwith holding a vehicle on full lock,as pointed out in our 15 point turn example ,its just if you want to test the unit yourself ,some degree of "over the top " turning of the wheel is needed
i was not picking holes in anyones post,i may have miss read an unneccessary sentence,bt hey we can all do that
all i really want to do is try and give help and advice.....free help and advice,
the last thing i want to do is argue with a diy`er.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom