Help oil puddle in engine compartment E320

NickBenzspeak

Reaction score
Hi Just bought a 1998 E320 avantgarde Auto which has been driving fine in the week i have owned it. All instruments are showing corect and a service is not due for another 9000 miles.

However looking under the bonnet (the last time i did this was two days ago) i now find a puddle of oil locatted under the radiator. I have tried to find where it is coming from by feeling around and it appears to be coming from under the radiator??

Can anyone give me a clue to where this leak is from

:-(

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
could be gearbox oil: on many models, the gearbox oil is sent to a dedicated radiator housed in the main coolant radiator (or alongside, or under it). once cooled, the transmission fluid is returned to the gearbox. check whether the unions on the pipes (running from the gearbox and then back again) are not leaking where they meet the radiator. and the pipes themselves.

can you tell what colour the oil is? gearbox oil will be reddish, where engine oil is brown/black(ish) ... except on my car, where it's a pale healthy golden yellow colour ;-)

OP
N

NickBenzspeak

Reaction score
can i measure the gear box oil to see if that is where its comng from?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why not junk off the affected area then you will see where it is coming from.

Malcolm

OP
N

NickBenzspeak

Reaction score
just checked my oil levels indicator on dash it states oil above max! what is my next move

OP
N

NickBenzspeak

Reaction score
too muych oil

tom7035 said:
I think Malcolm means 'gunk' off the affected area, not throw it away! :):)

Hi thanks for your reply re oil leak. I have just checked dash gauge and it states too much oil. i.e above max! could this be th reason for the leak i.e over flow. If so what do you reckon my next move to be

I really appreciate your replies

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
NickBenzspeak said:
Hi thanks for your reply re oil leak. I have just checked dash gauge and it states too much oil. i.e above max! could this be th reason for the leak i.e over flow. If so what do you reckon my next move to be

I really appreciate your replies

open sump nut and drain a little, make sure you have some spare handy if you drain too much.

OP
N

NickBenzspeak

Reaction score
Over filled engine result in puddle of oil?

mioba said:
open sump nut and drain a little, make sure you have some spare handy if you drain too much.

Does an overfilled engine result in overlow of oil. i.e could this be the reason for my puddle of oil under the rad?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No that would not be the reason. You should check with the engine dipstick as the dash displays often read too high. Clean up the oil, including under the red-cooler and unions. you will then see where it is coming from,

Malcolm

cubicincubi

Reaction score
put on some safety glasses. put a bit of card under the car. if you dont have axle stands or small garage ramps then you can put the car half up on the kerb to give you more room to get under it.

get some rags or kitchen towel. run the engine up to operating temp. (if your on a busy street stick your hazrads on whilst working on it with engine running)

Get underneath and clean oil of all parts (remove all covers etc to access) watch for oil seeping out of components/joints.

use a torch or inspection lamp if u have one.

if it isnt leaking go for a short drive then check again for leaks, if still no leaks extend distance and put more load on engine til you find the source.

or - take the car to an independant mechanic.

it'll probs be an oil cooler in any event. spanner work and an oil change.

cheers

Karl

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom