How to install bixenon lights to a W220

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
I was sick of the poor light output from the standard halogen lights fitted to the w220 S320cdi. As soon as I bought the car I wanted to upgrade the lights to bixenon. The problem is some of the key parts are hideously expensive new from Mercedes.

The parts required are:-

• Headlight right A2208202661
• Headlight left A2208202561
• Wiring harness A220540413298
• Light range ECU A2208203685

Everything I sourced from eBay apart from the loom which was about £80 from Mercedes.

img_6949.jpg

It is important to get the right harness variant as LHD cars have the light range ecu under the right footwell.

img_6950.jpg

Disconnect the battery

The harness on the facelift car does not just control the lights. It also connects to the two crash sensors at the front. The first job was to strip the old harness out of the car (this one only connected to the crash sensors) to make room for the new one.

img_6961.jpg

The route of the wires run under the front seats in plastic cable duct. By the left sill are the connection points for the CAN-C high and low, diagnostic line and an earth point. The loom passes through the left engine bay fuse box and to the left light. There is a connector that needs to be inserted into the ESP ecu (pin 3). All the connector pins are already crimped to the wires.

img_6972.jpg

The harness then continues down the left wing connecting to an earth near the fuse box. It also branches off across the engine bay near the wiper motor to the right headlight.

img_6969.jpg

The part of the harness in the car then runs in the duct and up to the centre console. There the crash sensor wires connect to the airbag control unit. The colour code is the same as the old harness. Pin 74 and 80 need to be disconnected from the old harness and reconnected with the new.

The harness continues under the driver’s seat where there is another earth to connect. Then goes through the right fuse box to the right light. There is a fuse holder that plug in to the colour coded connection.

It sounds harder than it is but the harness falls in to place nicely and lines up with connection points. Also there are red bands that help alignment.
The light range ecu screws to the metal plate under the passenger’s footwell.

img_6974.jpg

With the harness all in place the extra plugs can be pushed onto the xenon headlights and the lights bolted in.

Once all back together the car needs to be coded with star. The central gateway has an option for xenons present. Also the light range ecu has the option of long or short wheelbase.

The xenon lights are significantly brighter and should be standard on an s-class.

Sorry for the lack of photos and being a bit oversized! Any question comments please ask.

Adam

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
A super post Adam. I absolutely agree that Xenon lighting should have been standard on this model. The OEM halogens were poor at best and dangerous at worst.

I had mine upgraded 2.5 years ago. They are a revelation and make motoring at night a joy. I have had zero protest from oncoming motorists and the car passes the MOT routinely each year.

OP
A

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
Thanks Alex.

I wish I had taken more photos of connecting wires to ecus, etc.

My old e240 had xenons and they were great. I could not believe that the flagship merecedes did not have them. Most diesel w220's I looked at had halogen!

I have not had any one flash me yet. The beam has an aggressive cut off.

Adam

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom