How to tax car, when I might SORN it soon?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hey guys,

Quick one. My tax is due for the E class in the morning.

I had planned on SORNing it, thinking I would give the Range Rover a blast for a while, and fix the valve stem seals on the E Class while SORN'd .. but with absolutely ZERO SURPRISE, the Range Rover is still not ready as I just found another issue. a leaking transmission oil cooler, oil line connection.

So, I will tax the E class. Is the most efficient way to tax it for 12 months on DD, and when I want to SORN, just SORN it and cancel DD. As opposed to paying 3 months at a time? I think that's what I did with something else before.

Cheers
Conor

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
How long will it take you to fix the RR, then make a decision based on that perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How long will it take you to fix the RR, then make a decision based on that perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long is a piece of string lol.

I don't know.. It's pretty much ready to go.. i'm just not sure how to tackle changing the oil cooler line without losing too much oil.. because then I need to go ahead and top up the tranny oil fluid, and not sure about the process / volumes etc. I didn't want to do any big/money jobs like that until I have driven it for a while and know it's not completely goose.

On second thought, I might just clamp off that rubber hose.. shouldn't lose much oil then. I can throw a little into the trans to bring it up a little.

Here's the leak btw..

tco-leak-annotated.jpg

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I tax mine monthly by DD.
That way you only lose a proportion of the month if you decide to not use it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hey guys,

Quick one. My tax is due for the E class in the morning.

I had planned on SORNing it, thinking I would give the Range Rover a blast for a while, and fix the valve stem seals on the E Class while SORN'd .. but with absolutely ZERO SURPRISE, the Range Rover is still not ready as I just found another issue. a leaking transmission oil cooler, oil line connection.

So, I will tax the E class. Is the most efficient way to tax it for 12 months on DD, and when I want to SORN, just SORN it and cancel DD. As opposed to paying 3 months at a time? I think that's what I did with something else before.

Cheers
Conor
I'd tax on DD, once you sorn it DVLA will cancel the DD for you - if you cancel it they can get a bit snotty and block that account number from DD in future.

If they do take the next month's payment they refund it (That's happened to me twice)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok thanks guys.

I think i'll DD it and SORN when ready.

Cheers.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like the DD is a little more expensive than one up front payment. Albeit low.. I'm cheap.

So, single 12 month payment it is.. then when I cancel, i'll get the remaining whole months back. Boy, I love this country as a petrolhead .. In Ireland you can't get any tax back when you cancel. And when you sell the car, the tax transfers with the car.

Rates:

Refund:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom