ignition coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jha2297255

Reaction score
hi,

good news my 280ce did not need a head gasket...although a pressure test revealed very low compression in the 100 area... so i have been advised to increase plug heat range up 2 which i have done.

i am also wondering if a hotter coil ie 40,000 volt would help compensate as the car is still very driveable without the expense of engine rebuild at this time..

i had looked at petronix sunfire and msd blaster 2 coils...any advice is appreciated   JOSH-USA

dave elcome

Reaction score
Hi JHA

If you have found low compressions, then rectify this side of the problem first, dont waste money on coils or plugs until this area has been put right.

I cant tell you off hand exactly what compression figures you should be attaining, (Andy will) but 100 is far to low.

All the best

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi JHA

I have to echo Dave sentiments. Fitting different spark plugs & coils do not rectify the initial problem. Sounds to me that you have either a tight tappet. Or valve problems. Usually the compressions  are about 150-180psi. Don't get me wrong if the car is running ok at 100psi leave alone. Fitting spark plugs and coils will not help.

Too often owners fit unecessary parts to there vehicle I think just for something to do which gives them some feeling of satisfaction. But do not want to hear the real answer to the problem.

Hope I been of some help

Regards

Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom