In Deep!!! 190E Automatic Transmission Removal

Zookman

Reaction score
I took it upon myself today to try to pull the automatic transmission from my 1990 2.6L 190E. It has been giving me problems with no-shift condition and I think it is the Governor Regulator (probably a broken helical gear). I am so close to having the thing apart, but I can't get it to separate at the torque convertor and engine block. Apparently there are 6 bolts on the driver plate at the torque convertor that needs to be removed. Problem is, after I removed them, I still can't get the thing to separate. It almost looks like there is a rivet of some sort in between the bolts. Does anyone have any idea on how this transmission gets separated. I have attached a picture from the manual I was using and also pics of the driver plate.

If anyone has an experience in this at all, please reply! I thought I would be able to get the trans separated and get the govenor out today, but looks like I am wrong. Already have about 8 hours into the job already and didn't expect it to be this difficult. I also noticed than the fit to get to most of the bolts is really tight. Any suggestions for when I go to put the thing back together?

Look forward to any advise you can provide. Thanks.

-John

Attachments

• P2040014.JPG
    P2040014.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 212
  • P2040006.JPG
    P2040006.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 303
  • P2040007.JPG
    P2040007.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 312

tjo

Reaction score
if the 6 bolts are out there is nothing else holding it, but you will have to have engine and g/box dead in line to take pressure off splines, a little help from a lever possibly but alignament is crucial

tjo

Reaction score
the angle of g/box and t/convertor does'nt look good in pic you may have damaged front seal in g/box

Ian Brown

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like you will need to put a lever between the flywheel and torque converter I think the spigot of the converter I jammed in the crankshaft.

Top Bottom