Insurance again

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
All

Insurance is due on the C140 and the renewal with DL has gone up as expected for no reason.

So I decided to get a quote from Admiral as I have used them in the past and the online price was £100 cheaper than DL.

24 hours later a lady from Admiral called me offering me a multicar policy for all 4 cars, so to insure the Smart, SLK, ML320 and the CL500 all with protected NCD and for me and the wife to drive each others cars all in price for all 4 cars................................................................

Less than £600 per year!!!!! the CL on its own is down from £326 with DL to £181 on multicar with Admiral, pays to shop around.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thats what I have Jiles :D:D

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Sounds good to me....

I have multi car with Admiral in the aggregate sum of £780; SL £320, CL £230, Volvo £230......renewal is in September.

Probably more than Giles because I am so much younger !!!***???

Mic

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Sounds good to me....

I have multi car with Admiral in the aggregate sum of £780; SL £320, CL £230, Volvo £230......renewal is in September.

Probably more than Giles because I am so much younger !!!***???

Mic

Yes dad!!

jib

snail

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B200
That's very good. It does make sense when there are two people sharing several cars - you can only drive one at a time!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I was with Admiral for several years, but they were becoming more and more expensive. I discussed the renewal premium with them last year and they toned it down a bit, but at the most recent renewal they were just not competitive.

The numbers you mentioned are all rather less than they were asking me for latterly. I wonder if this is a case of "market forces" in that, as I (and no doubt others) moved away, they had a rethink?

I shall get them to quote again (my renewal is December) and report back in due course.

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
That's very good. It does make sense when there are two people sharing several cars - you can only drive one at a time!

That is true of course unless you reverse one car into the other! :lol:
However, the fire and theft risk is not reduced by having fewer drivers than cars.

There's no denying that Admiral are offering ridiculously low rates for the multi-car concept at the moment.

Any examples of what their service is like or whether their rates are consistent at renewal?

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
However, the fire and theft risk is not reduced by having fewer drivers than cars.

There's no denying that Admiral are offering ridiculously low rates for the multi-car concept at the moment.

Any examples of what their service is like or whether their rates are consistent at renewal?

Never had to make a claim through them but the renewals when I did insure with them 2 years ago stayed low until the 3 year the price jumped £100 for no reason which is why I moved to DL but on the 3rd of renewal they jumped up another £100!!!

I dont care if they bump the price up by £100 because theres other insurers that will offer it for less.

One thing that did really P!$$ me off though, I rang DL to cancel the renewal, she asked what price DL had quoted, I said £326 and she said let me see if I can get this down for you and then quoted £256. SO why cant they just offer the fair price to start with instead of ripping people off!!!

jib

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Some insurers have fluid rates so they will take a reading on what the rest of the market is offering and then decide (based on your overall risk profile) whether to undercut it and by how much. That's why their rates can alter when you find a lower quote.

So, for example, their rating policy may be 'MARKET RATE less 10%'. You've found a lower market rate so they're able to drop that bit further.

We have the same kind of rating flexibility ourselves and it really does save people money if they can overcome the scepticism that they're being ripped off.

It's not much different to when you are buying a new TV for example. You go to Retailer #1 and they're offering it for £499. You go next door to Retailer #2 and they're offering the same model for £479. So off you toddle back to Retailer #1 and they say they'll beat Retailer #2's price (or at worst they'll match it and throw in an HDMI cable, etc). You'll be happy that you've saved money and you won't query why their original price was different to what they actually let it go for.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
No i work differently, if a company give me a ludicrous quote, then subsequently are able to undercut the substantially lower quote, then they have lost me as a customer...for ever.

They should treat their existing customers as they deserve.

Klik Fit is a fine example of this, quote for exhaust ridiculous and if you accept it fine, kerching, amazingly if you find a quote of 60% of their original price they will suddenly match it, too late matey, not only have you lost that sale i shall never be darkening your doorstep again.

British Gas is another one, if they were the last supplier of gas in the country i'd still not give them my business, ripped off by them for years, assuming they would ensure their long term customers were on the best possible tarrif....stupid? naive? yes i now know that.

We've ended up with Admiral too, unbeatable for multi car for us.

Have been with NFU for many years, and i simply cannot fault them for any aspect of their service, but they have priced themselves out of my pocket. To be fair though they didn't try to compete, so as i didn't feel ripped off i shall happily return there if they can get their pricing back under control.

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
sorry, my comment related to pricing strategies for unknown, fresh customers rather than existing.

I take your point about existing clients being looked after well.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
No i work differently, if a company give me a ludicrous quote, then subsequently are able to undercut the substantially lower quote, then they have lost me as a customer...for ever.

They should treat their existing customers as they deserve.

Klik Fit is a fine example of this, quote for exhaust ridiculous and if you accept it fine, kerching, amazingly if you find a quote of 60% of their original price they will suddenly match it, too late matey, not only have you lost that sale i shall never be darkening your doorstep again.

British Gas is another one, if they were the last supplier of gas in the country i'd still not give them my business, ripped off by them for years, assuming they would ensure their long term customers were on the best possible tarrif....stupid? naive? yes i now know that.

We've ended up with Admiral too, unbeatable for multi car for us.

Have been with NFU for many years, and i simply cannot fault them for any aspect of their service, but they have priced themselves out of my pocket. To be fair though they didn't try to compete, so as i didn't feel ripped off i shall happily return there if they can get their pricing back under control.

I agree......best offer first time.....no second bite of the cherry.

Mic

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes

You used to have a policy of a minimum premium of £250/vehicle which precludes two of my three vehicles.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have 3 on Admiral, I must keep an eye on things when it comes up for renewal

I had a good on with kwikfit at £425 on the SL, the renewal came back at £1330 :shock:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I managed to find a quote of £179 Fully comprehensive for the B class for me and my wife to drive. I then had a quote for similar for me and my business partner (Richard) to drive. But if I took Richard off, the quote came down to a stunning £58 per annum! Needless to say I have accepted the quotation.:grin:

I should add that I have over 15 years NCB and am in almost the 'safest' age category.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I managed to find a quote of £179 Fully comprehensive for the B class for me and my wife to drive. I then had a quote for similar for me and my business partner (Richard) to drive. But if I took Richard off, the quote came down to a stunning £58 per annum! Needless to say I have accepted the quotation.:grin:

I should add that I have over 15 years NCB and am in almost the 'safest' age category.

At what age does the tide turn and it gets more expensive :D I have not made a claim since 1976, and even then that was some who drove into my car while parked up

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom