Intermittent suspension knocking

BJgorman

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new member driven here by suspension problems. I have an '02 C230K that has a front suspension click/ticking/knocking. It clicks faster if I drive faster and sounds like it comes from the opposing side from which I'm sitting. I've taken it in the shop 3 times (still under warranty) but since the knocking is not always heard it's hard to get it fixed. Some days it's there, some days it isn't. Any ideas?

-BJ

Reaction score
Hi BJ, welcome to the forum. The front suspension anti-roll bars go on these at fairly low miles but they make a knocking nose rather than a ticking and the noise doesn't change with speed. That's confusing me. If it was just a knocking noise I would say it was definately the ant-roll bar. If so these are cheap (ish) and easy to fix. Probably around $30us if you do it yourself and a couple of hundred if you get an MB garage to do it.

Anyone else any suggestions?

sv4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203
If it clicks faster as you go faster, then it is likely to be the heat shield rubbing against the drive shaft that connects from the engine to the rear wheel drive. When you are in the car, the noise may appear to be coming from below the gearshift.

Heatshields coming loose is fairly common, and is a very simple fix involving re-tying with some plastic ties. Get your MB garage to lift the car up and check for a loose heatshield.

Top Bottom