Is this a good offer?

blue_eyes777

Reaction score
Hi alll... am new on here!

Mercedes Direct have offered me a c180 Jan 2005 auto, classic se(not leather sadly) for 16.5 k.
6000 miles.
Does this sound any good?
Thanks guys.

OP
B

blue_eyes777

Reaction score
but...

do you think it matters that the C class is due for update in 2007?
Will that really seriously affect the resale?
Also, do you think that the fact that the upholstery is not leather wil affect resale?
Thanks.

john_boy

Reaction score
No leather will make it a kiss of death when you come to sell it !!

Also, Mercedes Direct have a lot of ex hire cars for sale (i think the cut off point is 14,000 miles) - i'd ask to see the V5 before you decide......

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The leather argument is a standard bull line. If you had leather, then the colour would be a problem.
Leather makes a small but not particularly significant difference to resale value. Assuming you trade the car in, it won't make any difference. The used price guides don't mention leather so I can't see why people get so hung up on it. Personally I am not a big fan of leather. Sure, it looks and smells lovely when new, but on a used car, its commonly saggy and cracked and the odour has long since gone away. I found I had a soggy back in the summer as its no more breathable than a plastic bag, and try sitting on it in wearing shorts! - ouch!. My fabric seats still look new after 5 years of supporting my rather large back-side! They need a quick valet every year or so but other than that I'd take them every time.
Sure they will tell you that everyone wants leather when you come to sell it and if it was a C55 or 320CDI then maybe, but you are buying a C180 classic which is the base model, bought by companies who aren't going to fork out the extra £1000+ for leather. I would have thought you'd be hard put to find a leather one. Most would use the money to pay for the avantgarde SE upgrade first.
Forget the resale value and just enjoy the car!

john_boy

Reaction score
enjoy the car yes, but always bear in mind that when you sell it, it's value forms part of the purchase of your next car, so the more its worth, the less you have to dip into your pocket......

a merc with no leather - i'd certainly not buy one........

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
blue_eyes777 said:
do you think it matters that the C class is due for update in 2007?
Will that really seriously affect the resale?
Also, do you think that the fact that the upholstery is not leather wil affect resale?
Thanks.

I would suggest that the new model would only really affect the resale value of an 'old' model bought in the same year as the 'new' model. Yours will always be (if you buy it) 2 years older than the new model therefore always cheaper therefore you will always be aiming at a different market.

Absence of leather, I would suggest, makes it harder to sell a car if all the competition has leather. Same as any add-on. More boxes you can tick the easier it is to sell at any given price. You need to cast around a little and assess whether C180's generally have leather. Of course this will be your car for some years so you also need to have a think about whether you would like leather.

Personally my last 4 cars have had leather. I much prefer the look of leather but think that cloth interiors are much more comfortable and practical.

Jim

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I looked at buying a new C Class at the beginning of the year (I eventually bought a 6 month old car from MB Direct) and the brochure I?ve still got show leather isn?t available on Classic, only leather twin.

fionanallan

Reaction score
Yep...we agree entirely with jberks on the leather/fabric issue. Fabric keeps its appearance longer and is much more user friendly! Especially in the summer! All round much more practical! (Only our opinion...everyone to their own!).

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
996jimbo said:
I would suggest that the new model would only really affect the resale value of an 'old' model bought in the same year as the 'new' model. Yours will always be (if you buy it) 2 years older than the new model therefore always cheaper therefore you will always be aiming at a different market.
Jim
Agreed - now is a great time to buy a C if the new one is 2 years away. You'll get a good price, good kit and experience has shown me that provided you'rs is at least 6-12 months or so away from the newer ones, you aren't directly competing on used value and hence won't be hit with depreciation as a result. Also remember that a release date of 2 years means that it will be the best part of 3 years before there are many new ones on the road, so you have the current model for 3 years or so.

I bought the E 18 months before the W211 came out. The facelift made it far better looking, the kit level improved, and the prices were very reasonable. Infact I went in looking for a C class but the E was exacly the same price for what I think is a better car. It has made no difference whatsoever to the resale value.

What I wouldn't do is buy an old stock model when the new one had hit the showrooms - then you are competing and who would buy an 02 W210 when they could get an 02 W211 for similar money.

OP
B

blue_eyes777

Reaction score
Thanks

for the replies...

"
More boxes you can tick the easier it is to sell at any given price. You need to cast around a little and assess whether C180's generally have leather. Of course this will be your car for some years so you also need to have a think about whether you would like leather."

Do C180s generally have leather?
I have not been able to find out.
Is it really the kiss of death on resale?
I am scared now. Due to complete paperwork this week!!
Sorry for sounding panicky!
THank you all so much.

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
In the words of the Hitchikers Guide "DON'T PANIC".

Have a quick shifty through Autotrader, in fact hold on ......

Right, I've had a quick shifty through Autotrader and there seem to be loads of C180's without leather. So I wouldn't worry.

The point I was making is that if you have non standard extras your car will stand out when you come to sell. But, and especially with nearly new cars from a dealer, you pay for the extras. So, if the one you're looking at has leather you'll pay more.

Leather is more of an issue as you go up the range and especially bigger cars: people will expect it in "executive" models and be put off if it is unusually not there. If it is usual not to have leather then having leather would be a bonus.

Having said all that I would be inclined to go for a slightly older higher spec model than a new or nearly new base spec.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As i said above, very few 180 classics have leather. Leather isn't really a concern below a C240/270CDI and even then I suspect its only around 50/50. I've certainly never bought one with leather! Some people insist on it, but I believe most look at the overall package/condition and price. Sure an S class with cloth is a problem but not a C.

newer lower spec or older better spec - its a minefield!
Personally I also go older and get a higher spec, but I have to accept higher mileage, more wear and less of a warranty as a result. I've got used to the toys in the elegance (interior light pack, rain sensor etc)and the v6 engine so I've made a rod for my own back. There are lots of nice low mileage 04 E200k classics in my price range but I can't bring myself to buy one, I want a 270 avantgarde but can't find an affordable one that hasn't spent most of its life in orbit.

You don't miss what you've never had so if you're happy with the 180 classic, its a lovely motor and sounds reasonably good value so there is no reason I can think of not to go for it!

Top Bottom