Jerky gear change W124 coupe

Kully E220 Coupe

Reaction score
Hi all,
My e220 coupe has a jerky gearchange its ok at times but often when it changes gear it has a jerky forward ffect and you can really feel the gear going in, any suggestions on what i should do to remedy this problem, Someone told me it could be that theres too much back pressure building up but i had this checked and its all ok, I must say that most times the gear change is as smooth as anything but when it does wanna play up it is seriously noticable,

guys any help well be very well appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kully

sooper coop

Reaction score
Gearchange.

There is a plate/coupling that the bolide cable connects to which adjusts the timing of gear changes, therefore you can trade a bit of power for a smoother change. Or have a gearbox service which might change anything, although i suspect it will

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
E220 gearbox

It's always possible to make a W124 bang changes by lifting off just as it's about to change...

If it's intermittent don't worry. If it's more than that then change the gearbox fluid & filter. Prop dougnuts affect shift quality a lot. Diff rubber mounts affect it too, as do diff backlash and worn engine and gearbox mounts

I think it's a W124 thing to be super-smooth 99% of the time then to slide in a shocking shift every once in a while. It's a reminder not too take them for granted and to pamper them a bit

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
K

Kully E220 Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help i think i will book it in fora dearbox oil and filter change.

Thanks again.:cool:

LNM

Reaction score
Bit late, but mine clonks like a right one if I lift off at the right (wrong) moment, as Bolide says. It makes a horrible metallic thud; normally from 2nd to 3rd which is when I suppose you're most likely to do any lifting off.

If you keep the power on smooth, it delivers the change in reply, as you'd expect.

Rakeshm2006

Reaction score
I have the same problem on My W124 230E on a 1991. In the morning it is jerky but once it warms up it is a bit better. The wierd thing is sometimes its perfect but other times not good. But with mine at full load you cannot feel the gear change at all.

jonnyb1

Reaction score
I know i,m late replying but this was a problem i suffered after the RAC were called in after the crank sensor failed.the problem was solved by advice off this forum being..... the vacuum tube to the gearbox had been pulled off ,once refitted it was like a new car...hope this helps.cheers

COUPE FREAK

Reaction score
jonnyb1 said:
I know i,m late replying but this was a problem i suffered after the RAC were called in after the crank sensor failed.the problem was solved by advice off this forum being..... the vacuum tube to the gearbox had been pulled off ,once refitted it was like a new car...hope this helps.cheers

can you tell me where to look for this pipe,, my 220ce has quite jerky changes,,

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom