Key Position 2 - noise from throttle actuator - is that normal ??

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202 C230 Kompressor
While I tried to reset the throttle, I notice that when I turn the key to position 2, I heard there is noise coming from the engine compartment, I open up the bonnet and take a look there and it seem that the noise is coming from the throttle actuator. The noise is quite noticeable; I mean I can hear it even inside the car, with all the windows close and the bonnet closed while the key is in position 2!

Is it normal or there is something wrong with the throttle actuator / system ???

Any suggestions at all ??

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, I notice the noise there when I try to reset the Trottle and I stop the reset.

I drove the car for a while and the car seems to be ok, nothing unusual that I am awared of.

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
Are you sure that it is coming from the engine compartment?

Reason why I ask is that if I put my key to the number 2 position and not rolling the motor. I can hear my fuel pumps pressurizing since sound travels from the underneath of the vehicle and is at times hard to locate.

Mine did not make the noise until I put a fuse in for the Aux Fan and it really had me stumped for a short time since the only thing that was to run from this fuse was the Aux Fan.

If it is the throttle actuator it might be on it's way out.

I know I would just keep an eye on it and replace it when and if it goes the whole way out.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The throttle actuator on my E240 would whine. It can be a sign that something is up but that normally comes with a poor idle. I could only hear mine clearly when parked in the garage and more easily when the bonnet was up and never from inside the car so perhaps yours is louder. Does the tone alter when you press the pedal - mine did.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The throttle actuator on my E240 would whine. It can be a sign that something is up but that normally comes with a poor idle. I could only hear mine clearly when parked in the garage and more easily when the bonnet was up and never from inside the car so perhaps yours is louder. Does the tone alter when you press the pedal - mine did.

Near by you have the rotary Idle valve that buzzes when 12v is going through it

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks gentlemen, I did the following :

1) open up the bonnet, turn the car to position 2, rush to the engine compartment and I heard the noise is coming from under the engine. May be it is from the fuel pump.
2) About 10 seconds later, I hear the whining noise from the throttle actuator, can’t feel any vibration at all in the throttle body. The sound will be very loud when I put my ear on the intake manifold ( ?? from the throttle body toward the front of the car) , the sound will be loud and clear.
3) I notice that the sound will change from time to time, sound like the flap inside open up and close now and then.
4) Once I start up the car, a lot of sounds and I can’t really tell what is the difference.

Is there any way to prolong the life of the throttle ?? like cleaning it; or change some parts inside etc…. Or is there anything associated with the throttle position sensor ??

Thanks mates !!!!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
to be honest I'd leave well alone. All sorts of things click whirr and whine on these cars! Most are nothing to worry about. The general rule is that if she runs ok, don't fiddle!
The only suggestion I have regarding lifespan applies to the engine as a whole really. Aside from the obvious regular and thorough servicing, Use good quality fuel and an occasional additive. Personally I try to use a 'super' fuel (BP unlimate in my case) every 3 tanks or so. The performance and economy claims don't seem to apply in my case, but I figure that the extra detergents etc in the fuel are worth flowing through the system every few weeks.

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
to be honest I'd leave well alone. All sorts of things click whirr and whine on these cars! Most are nothing to worry about. The general rule is that if she runs ok, don't fiddle!
The only suggestion I have regarding lifespan applies to the engine as a whole really. Aside from the obvious regular and thorough servicing, Use good quality fuel and an occasional additive. Personally I try to use a 'super' fuel (BP unlimate in my case) every 3 tanks or so. The performance and economy claims don't seem to apply in my case, but I figure that the extra detergents etc in the fuel are worth flowing through the system every few weeks.

Hi Jberks,

Thanks for your suggestions !!

Once in a while, I will clean up the engine with "Slick" or "3M" !

The car had been good for the first 7 - 8 years and now, there are little and big problems coming up from time to time, I hope the Throttle will live longer !

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom