Late 80's 6-cyl diesel questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie colvin

Reaction score
I have been looking for my first MB and am interested in the 80's model diesels in the 126 body style. They used a 6-cylinder for several years in the late 80's. I believe they started in 86 but I am not sure when they quit. Are these engines dependable and do they have the longevity of their earlier counterparts? Also, what kind of economy can someone expect from this engine, considering they drive it at reasonable speeds
(65-70 mph) :?: And by-the-way, I'm state-side if that makes a difference. Thanks. :!:

simon j paynter

Reaction score
all 80s merc diesels are bullet proof I had a 300TD turbo which is a 603 turbo engine did over 500,000 kms nearly 400,000 miles without a major break down, taxi drivers the world over swear by them and I've heard from a merc garage that they have merc diesel taxis which have done over a million kms.
Buy the bigger engine cars and expect about 30 mpg, 124 series 300 Ds and the estate TDs take some beating being as you are state side you should be able to get hold of a Turbo diesel one , put good quality engine oil in and change it regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom