Leather care

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
The seats in my SL are in pretty good shape ( car has done 34k miles 2007 model) should I be doing anything to keep the leather in good order and what should I use.Also looking for a good set of floor mats as mine are grey and I would prefer black.

John

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
there are various leather feed products available to rejuvenate the leather and keep it in good order, you can do a search of the forum to find the recommended one as it has been mentioned before but i dont remember it from the top of my head.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
+1 on the Gliptone, I use it exclusively and it is excellent. Scrub the leather cleaner in using a small brush- you'll be astonished (and disgusted!) at what comes off. Wipe clean with a damp cloth, leave to dry, then rub the conditioner in. It will keep your leather feeling like new. I did this to the leather in my 2000-reg, 124k mile CL and it brought everything up a treat!

On mats, if you're not fussed about OEM but like decent quality, go onto eBay, there are a number of sellers who will make fitted mats for your (or indeed any) car for not much dosh. I've paid £31 last week for a set of new mats for my X Trail, including the luggage floor carpet. Not OEM quality either, but I figure if I replace them every 18 months they're still going to work out cheaper than an OEM set which never last more than a few years anyway.

or you could, alternatively, go down the route one of our members with his S320 went, and cover the mats with gunmetal-grey sheepskin he sourced from tinterweb, they looked superb!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Gliptone is highly recommended. I'm currently using Simoniz Leather Care on my 93 SL and its bringing the seats up a treat. They're getting softer with every application it seems.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I have the Aotogylm too, I use this on the settee :D It's good, but I feel that it doesn't bring the crud up as well as the Gliptone.

Plus Gliptone gives that lovely new leather smell. Mmmmmm. Almost as nice as new carpets :D

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Dr. Leather- the best cleaner I have used so far
Found gliptone's finish a bit greasy and shiny with the conditioner and the cleaner was a fair a bit of work

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Post 2000 cars using a different tanning process to the ones before that date, on the pre 2000 you could use any of the products out there. the later finishing process is not as strong. Gliptone does contain a leather smell built in, never tried any other. Using the saddle soap types on modern leather does not work as it just sits on top.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I just use THESE on mine now.

As Malcolm mentions, the leather in use today is not the same (not as good?) as the older stuff, and tends to be sealed. These things are ideal for just giving it a quick wipe over and, whilst being slightly dearer than some in the Halfords link I put up, bear in mind that they usually do a 3 for 1 on cleaning products. :)

They also work well on my suite at home. :D

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Post 2000 cars using a different tanning process to the ones before that date, on the pre 2000 you could use any of the products out there. the later finishing process is not as strong. Gliptone does contain a leather smell built in, never tried any other. Using the saddle soap types on modern leather does not work as it just sits on top.

Yup I think almost all auto leathers are sealed, but you can use sealants on them.
Something like gtechniq L1, dr. Leather dye block or nanolex textile & leather (I use this one)

Leaves a nice finish, and the gliptone air freshener is awesome if you want the smell - lasts months

clanky 50

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320 cdi 2005 3.0 v6
This sounds crazy but works,a friend of mine works a Bentley,all modern leather seats are coated with a protective synthetic product to prevent staining etc,so you can put as many leather treatments as you like,they will not penetrate the coating,the answer is to rub the leather down with a scotch bright pad,then apply neatsfoot oil.you can buy it on amazon for about £5.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003

So if I have understood you correctly Malcolm, Gliptone would be good for a 2003 SL?
Nicholas

Top Bottom