lowering links for ABC suspension

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Like Malcolm , I to am located in "West country by the sea" albeit on a continent .

Perhaps that is why I could not find "Automation Components UK" on Google UK , though I found this alternate site http://www.midwestcontrol.com/ .

I would like to make a accurate drawing of the parts to post , for others and with your help I shall do so . Am I correct in thinking that these are the main parts DMH-10 and JSM-16 from the above site are what are needed to build lowering links for a R230 ?

If not , I'm most open to suggestions to that end .

Thanks to all , Douglas

Hi Douglas - it's actually Automotion Components, apologies for the error ! http://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk/products/ball-and-socket-joints.htm

Those Midwest parts do look suitable, although I'd be careful with the nut on the threaded linkage, as the clearance on the rears is pretty tight.

There's no need to go for metal sockets as there's absolutely no load on these things and aside from looking prettier, it serves no purpose. I went with the hard plastic which works perfectly and will weather better.

Good luck !

Jonny

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Clarence is good at that...

One can always test by taping on something just under the wheel arch, then do a few hard stops and corners at 100 mph,if what you put under the wing is still there then you are ok

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One can always test by taping on something just under the wheel arch, then do a few hard stops and corners at 100 mph,if what you put under the wing is still there then you are ok

Good thinking Batman. Not had any issues so far with mine, there's no scrubbing on the tyres, front or rear :)

I suppose you could also get a passenger to lean out of the window and stick their fingers under the arch.

If they come back in with them all intact and no blood that's also a good sign.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good thinking Batman. Not had any issues so far with mine, there's no scrubbing on the tyres, front or rear :)

I suppose you could also get a passenger to lean out of the window and stick their fingers under the arch.

If they come back in with them all intact and no blood that's also a good sign.

You must have been reading my mind when I posted,, but fingers are a sore point with me for the time being :(

Get Tubed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 R230 SL500
Hi Douglas - it's actually Automotion Components, apologies for the error ! http://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk/products/ball-and-socket-joints.htm

Those Midwest parts do look suitable, although I'd be careful with the nut on the threaded linkage, as the clearance on the rears is pretty tight.

There's no need to go for metal sockets as there's absolutely no load on these things and aside from looking prettier, it serves no purpose. I went with the hard plastic which works perfectly and will weather better.

Good luck !

Jonny

Jonny ,

Thanks for the link .
Can you provide us with the product numbers of the pieces that you used to make yours ? This would be invaluable in discerning the correct sizes and what parts to order.

" Parts is parts ", doesn't always cut it .

Many thanks , Douglas

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Douglas - I'm afraid I don't have the receipts anymore, but my parts were a suck it and see hence it's worth talking to them. The balls/sockets were 10mm diameter, threaded bar was 6mm and lengths etc best determined by Automotion. You know the full part list anyway.

Cheers

Jonny

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You must have been reading my mind when I posted,, but fingers are a sore point with me for the time being :(

Sore point - is that pun intended ?!

How's the rehab coming along ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sore point - is that pun intended ?!

How's the rehab coming along ?

Just getting used to them, it will be some months yet,,thank you for asking

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well - after previously allowing me to fit lowering springs my insurer (Aviva) have decided that they don't want them on my car.

Car is therefore back to standard and I have a set of lowering links at the correct length, to lower an R230 (SL55 not sure about SL500 ?) by approx 1" all round.

Cost me £65 in parts and lots of time measuring, researching etc etc.

First offer of £50 gets them with free p&p :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom