Merc 190 - front suspension problem

johnny watts

Reaction score
hi all, a friend of mine is having problems with the front drivers side suspension on his 190 - it appears, the top plate on the suspesion coil has been damaged due to a combination of a larger engine and speed bumps! (1) is this an easy repair? (2) where can we get the necessary parts at a realistic price? (brighton, east sussex) (3) is there an easy cure, or do we need to uprate?

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
By top plate do you mean the top mount that the coil spring sits in or the wing mount that the top plate mounts to? The best place to buy these parts would be Rivervale or Mercedes of Brighton. They're next door to each other by Portslade station and are both Mercedes Authorised parts suppliers

I don't think you can upgrade this part easily but you may need to look at spring rates if you've increased the weight of the engine. I'd look at parts from the rest of the 190 range - the 190 2.6 or 2.5 Diesel are probably the heaviest engines and so probably have the springs with the highest rate

What has been done to the car and exactly waht has been damaged?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
J

johnny watts

Reaction score
Hi, it's a friends car, but i believe it's the wing mount that the top plate mounts too - i'll be seeing him later this week, so may be able to get the full story. But thanks for your help Nick

sankey

Banned
Reaction score
Bolide said:
By top plate do you mean the top mount that the coil spring sits in or the wing mount that the top plate mounts to? The best place to buy these parts would be Rivervale or Mercedes of Brighton. They're next door to each other by Portslade station and are both Mercedes Authorised parts suppliers

I don't think you can upgrade this part easily but you may need to look at spring rates if you've increased the weight of the engine. I'd look at parts from the rest of the 190 range - the 190 2.6 or 2.5 Diesel are probably the heaviest engines and so probably have the springs with the highest rate

What has been done to the car and exactly waht has been damaged?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

The spring doesent mount to a top plate,,its the shocker that has a top plate mounting ,,

Why give advise when you clearly know nothing about the car

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
sankey said:
The spring doesent mount to a top plate,,its the shocker that has a top plate mounting ,,

I said the spring mount, not plate. Please don't misquote me. If you have something to constructive to add, please do so. If not, your post doesn't help much

This link shows the basic suspension layout. As I said the spring has a top mount and the suspension leg a top plate

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...765.900903&CT=F&cat=431&SID=32&SGR=015&SGN=01

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
sankey said:

Why cant you answer a thread without being so rude, Bollide is one of the best you can get on a forum. His expertise is second to none.

Why don't you tell us where you got the money to buy a £50k car instead, it will be much more interesting.

Malcolm

sankey

Banned
Reaction score
television said:
Why cant you answer a thread without being so rude, Bollide is one of the best you can get on a forum. His expertise is second to none.

Why don't you tell us where you got the money to buy a £50k car instead, it will be much more interesting.

Malcolm

Malcolm,,,With the utmost respect it is non of your business how i bought my car.

sankey

Banned
Reaction score

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom