Mercedes-Benz recalling nearly 60,000 cars in the UK

vbadmin

Reaction score
Mercedes-Benz recalling nearly 60,000 cars in the UK and 1.3 million throughout the world.

The models affected are the 6 and 8 cylinder petrol engined cars produced between June 2001 and November 2004, which require checks on the alternator voltage regulator.

E-Class and CLS cars built from January 2002 to January 2005, are being recalled for a software upgrade to the battery control unit, which will improve the on-board power supply.

Also the braking system on the E-Class, CLS and SL models produced between June 2001 and March 2005 are being updated.

Mercedes-Benz are stressing that these recalls are part of a drive for the highest possible quality standards, and the potential problems were identified on the car production lines.

Head of Mercedes-Benz Dr Eckhard Cordes, said: 'We are now producing the best product quality ever and our aim is to ensure that those vehicles in the hands of customers which are the cause of complaints achieve a standard of quality that reflects our highest expectations.'

All affected customers should recieve a letter in the next two weeks asking them to take there car to a dealer for the checks.

For more information call the Mercedes-Benz European hotline on 00800 1 777 7777

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Did MB contact the MBOA with this announcement or is this information you picked up via other means?

I am wondering whether MB even knows of the existence of the MBOA?

REGARDS Phil

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
I hope that this is nothing got to do with the 1st of April.

BMW pull a prank like this every year. One year they reversed the colours one BMw symbol with 'genuine' written underneath and another proper symbol with 'non-genuine' underneath. The heading at the top od the add was: 'WARNING ARE YOU DRIVING A GENUINE BMW?'

The only place I saw it was on that reuters site. Not mentioned on MB site. I reserve judgement on this one.

calum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W246 B180d
This was on ITV's Teletext yesterday (31st March), so seems unlikely to be an April Fool :)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
its genuine as far as I know. Notice 2001 on - does that mean my 2000 is faulty but they ain't going to fix it!?
It would be interesting to get the inside track on what they are going to fix and why - then at least we know what they aren't going to fix on ours!

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Weel jberks what can I say about a 2000 Eclass...except I have so far had two total brake failures, one of which MB refused to even cover under Mobilo..... I guess pre 2001 owners are being left to fend for themselves.

If you read between the lines it seems they are recalling the cars either because they want to cut down on a huge number of claims under Mobilo [there are a lot of failures occurring] or because the US authorities have finally forced them into it. I have been active on some of the US databases and the statistics of failures over there is horrendous. But the advantage is once it becomes known the US authorities require a recall and repair where safety and roadworthiness issues are affected.

DaveS

Reaction score
Merc Recall

My 2002 E-Class suffered total break failure in Jul. 2003 just 3 minutes after coming off the motorway (where I wasn't) hanging about!). With true German humour the following message flashed up - 'Total Brake Failure, Please Stop Immediately' It failed to say how.
Fortunately I was only doing 25m.p.h. at the time. Had it happened 10 minutes earlier I doubt whether I would be typing this now.
I never did find out what the fault was.
MB did look after me very well.

MB partsman

Reaction score
God help us all when we get 'fly by wire' steering
i can remember driving one of the 1st cars with 'fly by wire' throttle....
lift of, and she kept pulling for about 0.5 seconds..... dont sound long, but seems ages when someone pulls out on you!
customer did complain about it but the techie said 'no fault found'
'bow locks' said i, when i got back to base!
btw no fault found often means we cant fix it!

n0alpha

Registered
Reaction score
I recall when Mercedes made a solid car. Now they've got more plastic than Britney Spears. There's nothing like my 190E...she's solid!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom