Mercedes E200 1999 Torque Converter Drain Screw

heavy747

Reaction score
Good Morning Chaps

I want to change my Mercedes E200 ATF but need to know is there a drain plug on the torque conveter for draining atf off bearing in mind my car is E200 1999 estate? Please can you give me some feedback what to expect and how to drain converter if no drain plug is present.

Please help :confused: :confused: :confused:

Best Wishes
heavy747

Last edited:

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
While changing a radiator on one of my cars my wife decided to move it while the rad was out. Needless to say I had atf all over my drive. Could this be a way to drain the Torque Convertor? (Dont take the rad out, just dissconect the cooler lines)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
Story So Far Chaps

Good Evening Chaps

I went to Stealership today after building up the courage for MB fluid! Firstly I spoke to Head Tech and was immediately advised not to change the ATF oil which I was planning to renew as MB trannys are sealed for life even at 167,000 miles!! Said my politful byes and went into their Parts Deptment and asked for MB best elctronic ATF - 7 1Litre pink nectar bottles costing £67!!

Got home raised the beast and located the torque plug which measures 5MM allen key size. Point of warning please buy the best hardened key socket set you can get as this plug is not easy to remove!!!! Luckily MB have made the plug so that allen key penetrates deeply into it.

The fluid which came out was dark brown.

Did the same with the sump plug.

Left everything to drain over night and will try and finish job tomorrow.

That's it so far.

Oh word of warning as I mentioned use best Allen key sockets you can buy as this is not a job for Tiawanese or worst still Chinese made metal!!!

SOFT METAL TOOLS WILL LEAD TO PROBLEMS. DON'T TAKE RISK!!

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Advisable to also remove the tranny sump (six bolts) as there will still be about 1/4 litre of oil remaining in the pan that will not drain due to the sump plug having a raised shoulder on the inside of the pan, whilst the sump is off, renew the tranny oil filter and also add the magnet that later trannys were fitted with, re-assemble with a new rubber sump gasket. You will need the special dipstick to accurately check the level but 7.3 litres (with the tranny AND torque converter drained) should be about right.

OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
OK Job Done!!

Dear Chaps

Just finished..............Found torque converter screw very tight resulting in aluminium washer being crushed. Went to Halfords no replacements present!! Ended getting my Dad to make me one. Anyone doing this oil change should NOT re-use the washer on torque screw but buy new aluminium or copper replacement as seal is crucial.

Filled car tranny up with the recommended MB nectar........There is an absolute difference once engine is warm. She changes better, smoother and faster then before. I hope to do a long run to work tomorrow......Wish me luck.

That's all
heavy747

OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
OK Job Done!!

Dear Chaps

Just finished..............Found torque converter screw very tight resulting in aluminium washer being crushed. Went to Halfords no replacements present!! Ended getting my Dad to make me one. Anyone doing this oil change should NOT re-use the washer on torque screw but buy new aluminium or copper replacement as seal is crucial.

Filled car tranny up with the recommended MB nectar........There is an absolute difference once engine is warm. She changes better, smoother and faster then before. I hope to do a long run to work tomorrow......Wish me luck.

I did this job using one axle stand, one brick under car tyre and jack as saftey measure. Please be careful in prepartion when working under car.

That's all
heavy747

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom