Mercedes Sprinter 311Cdi power problem

turd6

New Registration
Reaction score
hi guys, got a bit of a problem for you to think about. We run a self drive hire company and we have two sprinter vans with the 110 bhp engine with the same lack of power fault. They wont rev past just over 3000 on the road. In the first we changed the injectors but it made no difference. Now the second has the same problem and we are a bit loathed spending nearly a thousand pounds for no reason. Has anyone had any experience of this nature with this model engine before and suggest a course of action ?
many thanks
Will

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Rather than just throwing money at it you should get a diagnostic done to show the true fault. It sounds as though your vans have gone into limp mode and if so the fault should be logged in the ECU. A common fault with these engines is the MAF sensor, an airflow device in the air trunking just after the air filter. Unfortunatly this doesn't always register as a readable fault so if the diagnostic check draws a blank then suspect the MAF anyway. It is relatively easy to change and is just a case of plugging in the replacement and away you go (hopefully). Do a search on this forum for MAF faults and you should get a better idea of what you are experiencing.

Let us know how you get on as feed back on fixes are invaluble in helping others with similar faults.

B

blaeze

311 limp mode

Problem started for me shortly after becoming the 5th registered keeper, with about 130k miles on the clock. A local mechanic with a Snap-On scanner found nothing conclusive, reset the faults and suggested changing the MAF sensor, which I did (while keeping the old one). Mercedes Montlucon (France) soon after failed to rectify or even identify the problem when it recurred within a couple days of their having kept it for a week(!), and the service manager could only shrug when I challenged them. Last year, Commercial Motors in Barnstaple (UK) also failed to find or fix any fault.

The problem has always been massively more severe at higher altitude - over 800 metres, where it will happen even driving downhill - but can occur even at sea level, and high humidity appears to be a contributing factor as well. The only thing which holds it somewhat it check is keeping the engine wound up tight, especially when climbing grades or changing gears. (Brits always gear up too early, in my estimation - a relic of fuel rationing in the war?)

In the time I have owned it I have also changed the oil separator twice (probably should have been three times - the diaphragm gives out regularly), and I note that its failure fouls the flow sensor in the separator's outlet pipe near the turbo, so have just cleaned that, and will carry on sensor by sensor until I get the result in which these so-called 'mechanics' lack either knowledge or interest.

If yours has oil sludge dribbling down the right side of the head, the oil separator has failed. If it has been going on for some time, the injector wells will be full of something like Bake-o-lite, for which I recommend pick and chisel work first (wear goggles and mind the cables), then a grease-cutting spray (NOT oven-cleaner) made for commercial kitchens, and a copious rinse with water.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The vacuum transducers are a favorite failure on the Vitos/sprinters for power loss issues.

Fault codes normally stored are charge pressure/air mass issues.

A star machine to look at live data and a turbo pressure boost test might be required to track the fault.

B

blaeze

Vacuum transducer

Cheers, Steve -

All the while I have felt the fault as related vacuum.

I changed a small inline filter on the vacuum inlet quite a while back, and wonder if it's not time for that again as well, especially as a exact match was not then available.

sgys04110

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Sprinter 311cdi 2.2 diesel
power loss

hi guys, got a bit of a problem for you to think about. We run a self drive hire company and we have two sprinter vans with the 110 bhp engine with the same lack of power fault. They wont rev past just over 3000 on the road. In the first we changed the injectors but it made no difference. Now the second has the same problem and we are a bit loathed spending nearly a thousand pounds for no reason. Has anyone had any experience of this nature with this model engine before and suggest a course of action ?
many thanks
Will

Hi , Can I share with you my problem that was fixed by my local Merc garage, I have had my Sprinter 311 CDi for about 3 years and all of that time I have had intermittent loss of power (limp mode) I have changed the fuel filter as I read that water can collect and course problems, I have also read that a faulty Break light switch can give the same problem so that was also checked, but still the problem persisted so much that it was perminantly in LIMP mode, scanners showed no fault codes so finally I took it to the dealers, they fixed it by replacing a faulty low pressure switch, I'm not saying this is your problem but maybe a trip to the dealer would be cheaper long term as my bill was £202.00 job done..

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
1. Don't spend any money before letting a competent individual with star point you in the right direction
2. Don't even start to accuse the maf sensor. They do not exist on a 2002 sprinter with a 611 engine.
3. The most likely culprit is......
The vac transducer behind the headlamp on the drivers side. Low pressure sensors are not fitted to all sprinters my 2002, and when they fail it's usually at high load, high speed, going uphill.

junior1chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SPRINTER 416 2.7 5 CYL
many thanks
Will

Hi there don't know if this will be any help but try the boost pressure
Valve under the drivers side headlight check to see if the wiring has
Rubbed through on to the body I have just had the same problem and
Thats what sorted mine if wiring is good then try new valve hope this helps

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom