Mercedes Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregit

Reaction score
Hi,
don't know wether anybody has any info,where star was conceived originaly. :?: But to cut a long story short,years ago (30) :roll: I was sat waiting for a load of timber in West Drayton,looking at a very old lorry at the back of this yard which I believe to be a MB,the fascinating thing to me was on the top of the radiator,right in front of the line of sight of driver was a star encased in fluid and round circular brass housing :idea: If you take the Merc star slightly droop the lower two legs it forms an arrow if the arrow is pointing up the temp is okay 8) I tried to e mail MBenz but German isn't my strong point.

Mikesmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CL500,1990 560SEC, 1988 230E, 1982 250, 1979 280CE, 1977 200D, 1972 350 SL, 1965 220S Fintail
Thought that Mercs built engines for land sea and air, hence one points to sky the other to sea and last one to land.
Could be completely wrong of course
Regards
Mike

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
Mike is quite right...

Daimler had died in 1900 at the age of only 66 but his two sons, now managers at their father's company, remembered that he had once sent a post card to his wife on which a star marked the house where he was living in Deutz. He had commented that eventually this star would rise and shine out over his work.
The Chairman of Daimler took the idea up in June 1909 applied to use both a three-pointed star and a four-pointed star as trademarks.

Both applications were granted, but only the three-pointed star was actually used. It was placed at the front of the car as a radiator emblem. Over the years the star, which was also intended to symbolize the modernization of transport on land, water and in the air, acquired various additions and refinements.

In 1916, it was placed inside a circle which featured four small stars at the top and either the word Mercedes or the names of the Daimler plants in Untertuerkheim and Berlin-Marienfelde underneath.

In 1921 an application was made to have the three-pointed star in the ring patented as a radiator emblem and two years later this request was granted.

A trademark was now created which incorporated the typical emblems of both companies: the world famous three pointed star of Daimler was encircled by the name 'Mercedes' and the equally illustrious name Benz', these names being linked by the Benz laurel wreath. This trademark - which has remained virtually unchanged over the years - is still used on the high-end models of Daimler-Benz range.

Doesnt sound like the emblem on the truck you saw was mercedes OEM, however I faintly recollect seeing something like this before in brass - cant recall where though......

Mikesmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CL500,1990 560SEC, 1988 230E, 1982 250, 1979 280CE, 1977 200D, 1972 350 SL, 1965 220S Fintail
Almost as good as my answer Spike :lol:
My Dads vintage tractors have these mercury temp guages sat on top of the radiators.
Mike

OP
G

gregit

Reaction score
I thought that I was imagining after all these years,some much appreciated responses.Would love to know names of these tractors,(or should say manufacturer,case somone has pet names :lol: )
thanks Greg

Mikesmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Greg
Fordson comes to mind straight off, no other gauges on the tractor but this one so as you could tell that it was time to switch over from petrol to parrafin. Allis Chalmers I think had a model with this guage also. Im sure there where lots of others but cant think of any at the moment.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom