Mobile problem for new S class (sap)

ksanzo

New Registration
Reaction score
My new S class has arrived but the choice of mobiles to fit the cradles is rubbish. They have a new thing called "SAP" which is the software on the mobile itself which works through bluetooth(once bluetooth cradle is fitted) but Merc only recommend 4 mobiles which have this software. I have looked and loads of mobiles have this software. Can I use any mobile with bluetooth and this SAP software to work in my car once the bluetooth cradle is fitted

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As I understand it, SAP is a standard. So, in theory any SAP compliant phone should be ok. The 'approved' list are the ones MB has actually tested and even then they tend to be so behind as to be useless.
I would get a phone from somewhere that will let you test it first (CPW are normally quite helpful) but you should be fine.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
SAP Compliant is ok,but if you use a phone that has not been recommended by MB, then you are giving them an excuse when it goes wrong. New car, think about your warranty. If MB say its ok they validate warranty on this.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
They recommend their suppliers phones first, because these phones have been tried and tested. How can they be responsible for phones that have not been trialed or tested? Hence warranty invalid. Get my drift?

124coupe

Reaction score
The supported list is actually even shorter than you think - I just sold on my Bluetooth module as it works with my 6230i but not with my wife's (Orange-branded) 6230i.

MB don't care as the Orange version has a firmware level that's not on their support list and so they smilingly sent me on my way.....(Orangle change the menus etc as part of the branding).

I have gone back to the click-in cradle that came with the car - where both work fine (although only by accident as the Orangle one is not "supported" there either).

I will save the horrendous "phone prep" money next time and get a kit born in this century from the 3rd party market - Parrott.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What warranty? You can't damage the car with an unsupported phone so the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work properly. Hence why I suggest he uses a reputable supplier that gives a no quibble exchange - such as Carphone Warehouse (a major UK high street phone shop).

My Aunt bought an 'approved' phone - not sure which but still had to have the phone software updated before it would work reliably.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
MB don't care as the Orange version has a firmware level that's not on their support list and so they smilingly sent me on my way.....(Orangle change the menus etc as part of the branding).
I don't know too much about these things, but is there any reason why you couldn't simply get the Orange phone reflashed?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I don't know too much about these things, but is there any reason why you couldn't simply get the Orange phone reflashed?

You are correct,it cost me £10 to have one opened to all networks and it works fine now.

Malcolm

NorthDownsMerc

Reaction score
What warranty? You can't damage the car with an unsupported phone so the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work properly.

It's not so much the car being damaged by an unsupported phone - I agree with you on that. The reason MB only list certain phones is that they would certify that they don't interfer with the car electronics and cause it to do funny things, so they can rule it out in the event of an accident. I don't think they are implying there could be any long term damage from using an unsupported phone.

Imagine if you were a bit unscrupulous, you could claim the car's brakes failed, or the engine surged and blame the phone interfering if your bad driving caused a crash. MBZ just want to remove this liability.

If you notice, most car manufacturers have put caveats in their manual about not using handheld phones in their car because of this, just in case anything happens. Then they can quite rightly say that they told you not to do it. The Bluetooth era has complicated this bacause on the whole, Bluetooth is accepted as being safer by the public, but actually is far less rigorously tested by industry. MBZ are just covering their asses.

Rich

124coupe

Reaction score
I couldn't reflash the wife's 6230I as its Company property not ours - leased from Orange with the tariff.

OK, maybe I could have back-streeted it but why should I have to?

Also, she gets next-day replacement if broken/lost/stolen and in that event it would have gone back to not working in the car....cradle works - less hassle.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you notice, most car manufacturers have put caveats in their manual about not using handheld phones in their car because of this, just in case anything happens. Then they can quite rightly say that they told you not to do it. The Bluetooth era has complicated this bacause on the whole, Bluetooth is accepted as being safer by the public, but actually is far less rigorously tested by industry. MBZ are just covering their asses.

Rich
Those are written by the same people who put expiry dates on everything :mad:, so scared of litigation that there has to be a caveat. I suppose the one upside is that I can eat and drink relatively cheaply :p. - I don't believe in expiry dates unless it's mine.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I know a phone that is not benz rec does not hurt the car. However the new S Class has a known problem with the telephone interface fitted under the rear seat. This can be changed under warrant if it goes wrong. but if you use a phone that is not benz rec they can refuse to change the interface under warranty.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Basically it is updating the phones operating system.

type49

Reaction score
Phones in cars are often an issue. Nokia & Siemens do not release ANY of their phones to MB, any earlier than they are released to the public. So MB cannot start work on building a cradle/interface for these phones until then, hence the delay. It takes about 6 months to develope a new cradle, by which time the phones are being updated again.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know a phone that is not benz rec does not hurt the car. However the new S Class has a known problem with the telephone interface fitted under the rear seat. This can be changed under warrant if it goes wrong. but if you use a phone that is not benz rec they can refuse to change the interface under warranty.

Eric,
if we were talking about a cradle, I'd agree with you. Clearly physically plugging something unsupported in could cause issues with incorrect wiring, short circuits, power surges etc.
However, this is bluetooth and so is entirely software based. There is no physical connection, merely radio communication which the MB unit is free to ignore if it doesn't like it. Therefore, the only way to cause damage from the phone would be if there was an command from the phone that the bluetooth unit misinterpreted as a self destruct signal!
As no such command exists, the worst that could happen is that the unit shuts down and requires a restart. Hardly terminal.
So, I repeat, you can try any phone you like - if it doesn't work - so be it, but you CAN'T DO ANY HARM.
If I'm wrong, then there is something very seriously wrong with the design which is a good enough argument for a FOC repair anyway!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom