MPG (Carling v Stella)

CMR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C240
Since this contaminated petrol fiasco I have avoided the supermarket petrol and though this is early days seem to actually get quite a few more miles per gallon than usual. (Noticeably on longer journeys) Do (the supermarkets) water down the petrol or something like the slops go in the carling?

Anyone else noticed any difference? My brother has better mpg too and he drives an XJ6.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
To be truthful I would agree with you,I have never noticed any more power, not even with the super fuel, but certainly another 20-30 per tank full.

Malcolm

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
:cool: One get what one pays for - rarely more! :)

lackofgrip

Reaction score
i think i can help, i used to run my 200sx on shell optimax. i used to get quicker pickup and around 30-40 miles extra to a tank full hope this helps. the super fuels dont really make a difference in most standard cars.

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
I stick religiously to BP ultimate , unleaded in 200 Kompressor & diesel in P38 Range Rover because I feel there is a definite improvement in performance & economy. I make regular trips to ROI where only standard fuel is available & there is a noticeable difference .

maiga

Reaction score
This might be my addled mind,

but I remember reading somewhere that the supermarkets generally play the wholesale market for petrol that's cheap for whatever reason, usually 'cos it's been sitting around for a while. Or someone's accidentally tipped silicon in it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tesco do not run the petrol stations, they are franchised leased to an almost unknown oil company, I did know the name once, alas cant think of it.

OP
C

CMR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C240
Tesco do not run the petrol stations, they are franchised leased to an almost unknown oil company, I did know the name once, alas cant think of it.

Didnt know that. Strangely there is an Esso garage near me but the whole of the pay kiosk is a Tesco Metro! How does that work??

My main point was I always thought the supermarkets could afford to pass on savings due to bulk purchase etc, like lets say the Heinz benz brand is cheaper in Tesco than your corner shop. However Tesco (and others for that matter) do their Own "value" Brand too! Now it seems to me the "petrol" seems more like the Value blend rather than a "House" brand. Bit like the benz you find in a dodgy cafe.

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
Some years ago I used to help run a small group of petrol stations (4 different brands). At this time supermarkets were always at least 2p per litre cheaper than surrounding petrol stations.
The delivery drivers used to tell us that most of the majors used to supply the supermarkets. The difference was that every company used different additives. I remember when Esso trucks delivered fuel to Tesco's forecourts.
More recently the supermarkets often buy fuel on the spot markets. I believe this is where Tesco's had the recent problem.
Three of the petrol stations I used to be involved with are now closed due to the supermarkets.

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
I think the information on the effects of "poor" petrol on your car's sensitive equipment is explained very well on the undernoted site - which I came accross because my C180 is now running like a lame dog (I use supermarket fuel on this one) but my SLK 230 runs perfectly - always fuelled by Shell Optimax - co-incidence ? - maybe - aye right.

http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/technotes/fuel_contamination.asp

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The difference in the cost down here in the Southwest is about 2p so with a full tank of 60 liters when I tank the cost difference is only £1.20, in a larger place like Exeter I can save 4p. Tesco take 90.99 as of today

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
shell v-power

is about 94/litre at the cheapest shell station I see. Sainsbury's Super is about 87.9 at our local one. I am a complete and utter convert to V-Power, and only use others if i have to fill up as a necessity.

Reaction score
FYI, the cheque I recieved from Tesco today was specifically from the garage I bought the petrol from rather than from tesco generally so I assume they have settled the cases on a garage by garage basis. Like you say, they have a Tesco badge but are evidentally franchised. Having said that, I'm sure the petrol all comes from the same place.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom