My SL500

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
I used a mobile leather technician to do my drivers side bolster, cost £60 but seat looks like new and you can't tell where he's sprayed it.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I used a mobile leather technician to do my drivers side bolster, cost £60 but seat looks like new and you can't tell where he's sprayed it.

Thats what i will probably end up doing.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Had the nearside torque strut replaced today due to a split shroud on the ball joint and this afternoon the SL passed its MOT :D

I have also replaced the broken clips on the front spoiler (AMG version) so now the black mesh stays in place.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Had the MOT done a couple of weeks ago, the SL passed but i had 2 advisories :(, so bang goes the unblemished MOT history. One of the advisories was for a chip in the windscreen which i already knew about and has already been repaired, clearly not well enough.

Last night i discovered the cruise control doesn't work! Not a big problem as i rarely use cruise but i have opened a new thread on it anyway.

And finally today i gave the car a thorough clean and polish with Maguiers polish, now i know where all the minor blemishes in the paint are! Will have to get someone to clay bar and wax the bodywork.

Last edited:
OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
How frustrating.......after losing the unblemished MOT history with an advisory for slight play in lower suspension ball joints I asked my local MB dealer to have a look whilst the car was having an engine oil and filter change and guess what, no issue with the ball joints, no play detected. o_O

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm suspicious that a number of MOT testers know about instances of 'play' and advise on it, whether right or not! Maybe just me.....well at least you've got 11.5 months to see about it...

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
How frustrating.......after losing the unblemished MOT history with an advisory for slight play in lower suspension ball joints I asked my local MB dealer to have a look whilst the car was having an engine oil and filter change and guess what, no issue with the ball joints, no play detected. o_O

Solution - get your MoT done at your MB dealer. Sandown MB used to do my SL350 for £20.

But advisories are funny things. I used to run a VW Polo for my children. In a latter year (it was 11 years old when I sold it) it got an advisory for the front rubber suspension bushes being cracked. The following year, I expected a fail on them but instead got an advisory on the rear suspension bushes - no mention of the front ones. When I got home, I checked the certificates - same tester!

The independent garage I used to maintain it by then reckoned that testers just used advisories to show the MoT inspectorate that they were doing their job. He said he had a lot of "little old lady" clients who got really worried about them, for no good reason.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
A short update on my SL500 ownership.

I have had a very good year for my 2nd year of ownership, excluding fuel my total costs to run the car have been just £790 which compares well to last years costs of £2,290 although this was due to getting the car up to standard on servicing and replacement parts. I only do approx 2K miles a year so fuel is negligible. The car is running great and still brings a smile to my face.

Fingers crossed that next year doesn't bring any unwelcome surprises.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
A short update on my SL500 ownership.

I have had a very good year for my 2nd year of ownership, excluding fuel my total costs to run the car have been just £790 which compares well to last years costs of £2,290 although this was due to getting the car up to standard on servicing and replacement parts. I only do approx 2K miles a year so fuel is negligible. The car is running great and still brings a smile to my face.

Fingers crossed that next year doesn't bring any unwelcome surprises.
Great car, feel free to post some pics ;)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom