Need some advice on getting a towbar fitted

GrahamDo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W170 and W166
Hi all,

Am thinking of getting myself a tow-bar fitted for those family weekends away where the boot just isn't quite big enough, and I don't really want a top-box. I've got an 1999 E300 (W210). I'm after some advice on any recommendations for type of towbar and any types to avoid.

Rocketship

Reaction score
Towbar for E300

I'm new to this lark (conversing on web room) so if it goes Pete Tong - I appologise now!!

Read your request on info re towbar for (in your case) saloon 210 model Merc. I've just acquired an estate 300 TD (silver - with low profile AMG's - hence "Rocketship"! ;) ) after owning a saloon E300 which had a fixed towbar.

The new vehicle has no towbar fitted - and since I have a trailer (currently full of rubbish and recycling) I needed to fit one PDQ! :eek:

I had decided I wanted to go for a removable item. It just looks so much nicer when the cars not towing to be able to take off the ball and have a clean rear bumper line.

Now I contacted my local MB dealer whose spare parts dept relished (or so it sounded) in quoting me £750 + to supply me with there unit. :confused:

Gulp. with them fitting it it's something like a £1500 bill!! :roll:

So after trawling the web for a suitable item I came across Towequipe in Nuneaton. Andrew there was extremely helpful and I bought a Westfalia item from them.

Now towbars nowadays are produced as a pattern parts which means they have to be produced to manufacturers tolerances so as to fit into dimensions created by chassis members and valances, exhausts etc on any given model.

The Westfalia unit - I have to say- is a beautiful piece of kit. In fact as I understand it Westfalia actually make the MB unit but instead of attaching their own "Westfalia" badging, they apply the 3 pointed star we all know (and love??!).

And it cost less than half than the MB unit. :lol:

So today I fitted it.

2 hours.

I've yet to do the electrics and I'm gonna call Towequipe as they are so helpful. The kit includes it all but you will need a suitable relay to protect your light-circuits and battery. - £26

I have taken a load of pics today stage by stage which I could mail you if you wish. Let me know.

I am very very impressed with the service, the product and the end result. And before anyone says - NO I don't have any links with Towequipe!!! :lol:

C :grin:

E Class Man

Reaction score
Hi there Rocketship,
I'm just fitting the westfalia towbar to my E320cdi estate and I just wondered how you got on with the electrics?
I've got the relay and generic wiring kit from towequipe that I got with the towbar but I don't want to cut into the cars wiring if I can help it.
Is there a connector in the existing wiring loom into which one can make the connections and if so where is it located exactly. I feel sure that Merc would provide for this possibility as the tow bar is available as factory fit.
Any help gratefully received.
E Class Man
E320 CDi Estate (W Reg 2000)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
E Class Man said:
Hi there Rocketship,
I'm just fitting the westfalia towbar to my E320cdi estate and I just wondered how you got on with the electrics?
I've got the relay and generic wiring kit from towequipe that I got with the towbar but I don't want to cut into the cars wiring if I can help it.
Is there a connector in the existing wiring loom into which one can make the connections and if so where is it located exactly. I feel sure that Merc would provide for this possibility as the tow bar is available as factory fit.
Any help gratefully received.
E Class Man
E320 CDi Estate (W Reg 2000)
Rocket ship has not posted in over a year, you do not cut the wires. Use the connections that clamp onto the existing wires.

malcolm

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
find a trailer specailist in your area = look in yellow pages

far cheaper than a mb equivalent.

i have done this on a few of my other cars, ford galaxy and my berlingo van.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom