New Alloys for SLK200 (R171)

chapo

Reaction score
Website
www.kitchenoutlet.co.uk
Hi there,

I recently purchased a SLK200 from stock at a dealers but it has the std 16" alloy wheels fitted. Want to change them to 17 or possibly 18". Have been looking at some AMG wheels at www.elitedirect.com

Does anyone know if the ride is compromised by fitting 18" wheels to this car. Also does anything else on the car, apart from of course the tyres, need changing?

Can anyone suggest good suppliers of wheels/tyres did not really want replica ones.

Cheers

Lee

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i have the 17inch 5 spoke jobs on mine. plus the sport suspension package...it is very firm...and i mean very....but not ford focus RS no suspension at all firm, but definatley stiff.....so stiff i would not have the sports suspension again unless i wanted to do track days....but then i would have bought the lotus i wanted anyway.....or maybes the boxters....infact the very cheapest TVR just scrapes into the finance arena too....however i would have this size wheel if the designed stayed like it is. less is more with wheels i think.I dont like them AMG wheels for this car....

so if you dont have the sports suspension package you will not have massive difference but you will notice a more firm ride and a bit more road noise....but at least it will look better than them tin things they insist on putting on as standard...they only do that so you upgrade...they probably fell about laughing when you took yours without upgrading....

if you go down the MB route to get new wheels they make the rear ones bigger or wider i should say so you can ingore the rotation in the service book.

mine are 225,17,45 front and 245,17,40rear i think.

you may find a dealer has some decent ones lying around. they often get people insisting on new wheels at delivery so off come some perfectly normal alloys which they will be happy to sell you...go and ask....but if they have one make them an offer, dont pay what they suggest.

OP
C

chapo

Reaction score
Website
www.kitchenoutlet.co.uk
Cheers for the advice, again... I am just selling my Lotus S2 Sports Tourer. Hence the SLK purchase, a tad more luxury. But yeah, the wheels that were on the SLK car at the dealers look like they came out of a kinder egg!

Must get them changed asap. Note sure if its the done thing to get some good replica ones?? :?

Keep searching....

peterchurch

Reaction score
chapo said:
Cheers for the advice, again... I am just selling my Lotus S2 Sports Tourer. Hence the SLK purchase, a tad more luxury. But yeah, the wheels that were on the SLK car at the dealers look like they came out of a kinder egg!

Must get them changed asap. Note sure if its the done thing to get some good replica ones?? :?

Keep searching....

Only problem with non MB ones is that you might get stung on the insurance...

Bigger wheels = harsher ride, can lose acceleration, more chance of aqua planing in the wet / but better grip in the dry :)

OP
C

chapo

Reaction score
Website
www.kitchenoutlet.co.uk
Sounds like I could be better off going for 17" rather than 18", many people suggest issues with ride quality. Does anyone have 18" on a new SLK?

SLIGOGOLFER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 estate
try these people for great deals on wheels http://www.murray-systems.com/
I have had 18in wheels on previous cars they look great, RIDE HARD and if you use country roads/lanes be VERY AFRAID of POTHOLES they can make your motoring expensive (buckled wheels!!!)

Flaggy

Reaction score
SLK Wheels

I have been searching for 17" wheels on E Bay for the past 3 months, to replace the HORRIBLE 15" ones that were on when i bought the car. I bid on several hopefuls but was unsucessful, kept getting pipped at the post, till last week when I bought a set off a 2005 SLK for £620 YES £620 I looked in my MB garage and the same set would have set me back well over £2,000. They have only done 50miles and are in mint condition with 225/45 fronts and 245/40 rears Pirelli p zero tyres (I think I have won the lottery) Couldnt believe my good fortune. Was worth the perseverence, So check out E Bay there are bargains to get if you stick at it. :D

Flaggy

Reaction score
insurance on new wheels

By the way my insurance has gone up £46.00 for the year purely because of the new wheels.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Flaggy said:
By the way my insurance has gone up £46.00 for the year purely because of the new wheels.

bummer. i wouldn't have made a differnce if they had been on it when you bought it!

mine went down £15 a year when i told them I would only do 5000 a year instead of 10,000 in it.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I have to add the comment too on wheel sizes...bigger wheels are great on smooth surfaces and motorways, not good on poor surfaces and back roads where you meet potholes. Ride on these roads gets pretty horrible on bigger wheels. I avoided the sports suspension and went for the standard, stayed with the 16" alloys that came with the car and it is still hard on poor roads. Back roads are great for a good burn but a misery if all you feel is that you are shaking the car to bits...the speed limitation coming from discomfort rather than pushing the road or car to the limits.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom