New car warranty queston - warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Yaxley

Reaction score
I am looking to buy an unused imported Mercedes (UK spec) which was built in September 2001. The company I plan to buy it off will register the car in March 2002 so I get the new 02 registration. I understand that the EU parliament now mandates new cars should have a 2 year warranty Europe wide. Does anyone know if this apply to this vehicle even though it was built in 2001?

I understand from the company selling the car that they need to get the supplying dealer, in Germany I guess, to stamp the service book to get the two year warranty. Is this correct and do you think they will have any issue doing this?

Thanks

Regards

Peter Yaxley

R10RGT

Reaction score
New car warranty queston

Peter - My experience is that the build date of your car will make no difference, the warranty takes effect from the date of first registration.

It is not uncommon for new cars to be stored for many months (there was an "expose" in the press about the thousands of Rovers in store prior to the sale of the company) and that your car is 5 months old should not be a problem.
It is worth checking with a UK dealer exactly what is on offer. For example, with a new Celica (at the time we brought it into the country) if you bought it from a Toyota dealer in the UK, it included a couple of free services. If the car was a personal import, then you had to pay for them (all legal as the warranty was honoured).

I don't see why your firm would necessarily have to get the German Dealer to stamp the service book unless they did the PDI? Again, a UK dealer might be able to clarify. BTW - I never had a problem with going to UK dealers with a personal import, they were happy to be the service agents and interested to check the car was a true UK spec!

Hope this is of help.

(Edited by R10RGT at 6:12 pm on Jan. 12, 2002)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom