Noisy Diesel Engine

rsggo

Reaction score
Hi my problem if anyone can help, when I start my diesel anytime during the day/night for the first 30 mins on idle the engine sound so rough, when I rev to about 1500 its ok, below this it sounds like a tractor.

Is this normal for a diesel or is there something I can do/change to reduce this noise.

I have been reading about lifters, is this what it might be??

Can anyone help?? or advise me??

C220 cdi, 2002, 49450.

Wezzel

Reaction score
That's odd. I posted a reply to this message yesterday and it seems to have disappeared.

I had a similar problem about one month after buying my 220cdi. It sounded like "diesel knock". I started putting injector cleaner in at every fill up and the noise went away.

The injector cleaner has a cetane improver which helps the engine to fire more quickly meaning a smaller shockwave and less noise.

Worth a try.

nford

Reaction score
I had a the same problem recently with my E300TD, got the injectors reconditioned , and bingo good as gold, no more noise and pulls like a train, note all diesel return pipes to be replaced ,also discs under injectors (bosch service agent will supply discs on overhaul

Dunx

Reaction score
nford said:
I had a the same problem recently with my E300TD, got the injectors reconditioned , and bingo good as gold, no more noise and pulls like a train, note all diesel return pipes to be replaced ,also discs under injectors (bosch service agent will supply discs on overhaul
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you? My E300TD has done just over 90k miles and I think it could benefit from some injector work. PM me if you don't want to post on open forum.

Thanks in advance,
Duncan

mjtray

Reaction score
Does sound like diesel knock,which is caused by dirty injectors....I had this on my 300D and it got better with repeated doses of injector cleaner.

You may also have a couple of sticky hydraulic lifters, which then pump themselves up once you get past 1500 rpm.

Try putting in a couple of cans of Wynns hydraulic tappet fluid into your engine oil and see if this helps reduce the problem.

Again it helped on my 300D......by the way Mercedes engines are prone to sticky lifters and they will go on for many many 00000's of miles before they need replacing. If the noise does not clear by 2000 rpm, thats when they really need replacing.

nford

Reaction score
E300 TD Injectors

I used a Bosch service agent in Guildford ,Surrey, total cost for six injectors was £210 inc vat, well worth it in my opinion, I would think the cost would be about the same nationwide:wink:

gliding_spider

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi nford,

Have you still the address for Bosch agent in Guildford? I work in the area and my C220 CDI sounds like a tractor too.

It is only 7 months old though. Or should I try the cleaner first? Any brand suggestions? And how long before I should re-condition the injectors?

Thank you.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
A 7 month old CDi doesn't need any reconditioning! (or if it did, it would be a warranty claim). If you think it's too noisy - let the dealer have a look!

tonysacco

Reaction score
Noise

hi folks i had a similar problem with my c220cdi w203
the engine was noisy at tickover tappety noise which
disapeared at higher revs as it turned out it was the
air filter housing both top mount rubbers had snapped
and one of the internal rubber bushes had also broken up
- new rubbers problem solved
T

psmart

Reaction score
Another alternative...

..if you have access to a diagnostic system (star, carsoft etc) you can re-calibrate the injector quantity.

I was doing some tests this weekend on this topic. Injectors are normally stamped with a flow identification number (same spec injectors can have slightly different flow rates) which need to be coded into the ECU to ensure an even cylinder balance. On my 270, all the injectors are stamped 2, so I changed them to 1 and 3 and experienced greater knocking and less, and power levels (performance) differed accordingly.

Thus, from what Ive seen and will keep on experimenting, if you have injectors which have gone out of spec, you only need to adjust the ECU parameterisation to get extra life out of them.

haydar

Reaction score
rsggo

Did you get to the bottom of your noisy 220cdi? I have a similar car to yours and have noticed the exact same problem?

Cheers

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom