OK, I pranged it! - A quick question on err...bodywork

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgregory124

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, err....last night, on my way to a friends stag night I had the misfortune to ding my C36... :cry: Nothing too major but it went like this:

Bloke with a Ford Galaxy towing a horse box slows down to almost nothing in front of me, (I swear his indicators weren't working). I pull out to overtake and the bugger turns right...queue that old sinking feeling followed by brown trousers, followed by elation as I thought i'd got away with swerving out of the way to avoid impact but..., sadly no.

My car took a blow to the side at about 30mph :cry: Long story short, the guy didn't wanna take things further seeing as how I hit his tyre and my car sustained more damage than his. Great as far as insurance, not so great seeing as how I now have to stump up the cost of the repair.

So basically, my car now has a crease down the rear left passenger door underneath the trim strip (no paint off just loads of melted rubber for me to peel off...GRRRR). A small area of the rear wheel arch is also dented and scraped too, plus the rear left wheel has some nice scratches on it too....(I could cry just thinking about this...LOL).

I guess what i'm asking is, does anyone have a rough idea how much the damage would cost to repair?...I realise its difficult without seeing it but any ball park figures will do! .... i'll try and post a picture or two if I get a minute.

Thanks in advance...

Simon

uumode

Reaction score
... ekkk

Mannnn.. your car certainly came off a lot worse.
I feel for you.

Best bet is to take it to some bodyshops for estimates,
it doesn't sound too cheap though.

I know some people who have used the backstreet guys for a cheap job for their VW or Rover, but are not sure if you want to do the same for a cherished Merc.

A work collegue had a ding pulled/sucked out of his VW for around £70
- melted rubber just polishes out with resin polish/wax?
(I assume you mean where his tyre left it's mark on your paintwork)

I don't really know the cost of the paint, but hope you restore your pride and joy to it's former glory soon.

Tinyflier

Reaction score
Approx £50 for a complete repair to your alloy (that's what I was charged last time by Spit and Polish for refurb of my 18" AMG wheels).

David

OP
S

sgregory124

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys...i've since removed the rubber and other stuff from the side of the car. That does show though that the front passenger door is dented slightly too, the trim strip on the rear door is broken and chipped and the paint at the bottom is also scratched :(

Its going in for a service in Leicester on Monday and Evans happen to have a body shop so i'll ask them for an initial quote...after picking myself off the floor i'll no doubt go somewhere else for another quote...LOL

(Since I washed the wheel the scratch has all but dissapeared so it must have been rubber or paint...thankfully).

Cheers again, i'll repost when i've had it repaired...:O

Simon

uumode said:
... ekkk

Mannnn.. your car certainly came off a lot worse.
I feel for you.

Best bet is to take it to some bodyshops for estimates,
it doesn't sound too cheap though.

I know some people who have used the backstreet guys for a cheap job for their VW or Rover, but are not sure if you want to do the same for a cherished Merc.

A work collegue had a ding pulled/sucked out of his VW for around £70
- melted rubber just polishes out with resin polish/wax?
(I assume you mean where his tyre left it's mark on your paintwork)

I don't really know the cost of the paint, but hope you restore your pride and joy to it's former glory soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom