petrol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi_bloke

Reaction score
Hey guys, the old girls still goin strong. Ive done 4000 kms in it since ive had it. The other day i decided to change to BP petrol. Its cheaper and meant to be environmentally friendly with less sulfur / benzene. Accoarding to the advert lol

Since Ive noticed a big decrease in performance, pinking, VERY GUTLESS.

Its the same octane (96) as the stuff ive used in the past. Any one had simular dealings with petrol?

jack-n-gill

Reaction score
Petrol

Hi kiwi_bloke
I used to have an Audi and that went like a snail with the handbrake stuck on until I changed the fuel supplier. I regularly used a Jet garage as it was cheapest in town. Then they closed down and I had to use Esso. I thought someone had slipped another cylinder on the engine as the difference in performance was quite marked.
It doesn't always pay to go for the cheapest as you may be getting less MPG as well.
Try going back to your old brand and see if your power returns.
"All are equal but some are more equal than others". Who said that, anybody know?

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
I believe the original quote was

"all pigs are created equal but some pigs are created more equal than others"

it's the words of Napolean from the George Orwell book Animal Farm

Andy

jack-n-gill

Reaction score
Doh! :cry:
I should have known that as it was part of my English Lit. O-level syllabus at school.
:cry: Probably why I failed it. :?

GaryC

Reaction score
Hello,

I found Esso super unleaded was the best, but have anyone try Shell Optimax?

gary!

mjtray

Reaction score
I use Optimax.

Must admit that I was an absolute sceptic at first when I read about Optimax.

However, having used it for some months now, I can clearly feel a difference when I swap back to supermarket fuel, as I had to yesterday.

Car is now much more sluggish (feels like I'm driving into a head wind all of the time) and it pinks!

I find Optimax makes my car runner a little smoother and the pick up is much crisper.

I also run an old Porsche 911 SC and difference is even more noticable, although it does'nt pink. A lot of other 911 owners also swear by Optimax.

And lastly, running my motorbike on supermarket crap was a nightmare, mis-firing, sluggish........once I changed to Super unleaded or Optimax there was a marked difference.

My conclusion, if you run an older or high performance engine, the higher octane helps big time. Judging from newer petrol engines, they seem to run on lower octane just fine.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom