Question about auto gearbox W and S modes

GlenH

Reaction score
Might seem a strange question but can an auto gearbox be left in W mode for any length of time? - I'm sure I've read a thread that mentioned something about additional heat is created by leaving the gearbox in W mode?? The car (a CDi 220 202) is a far more relaxed drive in W mode with changes far smoother, in S mode when stopping I also get that final jerk forward as the gearbox drops back into first - something you don't get in W mode - is it also true that economy is improved in W mode??

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Im not aware of any problem staying in W - I use it sometimes for the same reason. I would suspect that as it's slushier, it would allow more energy to be be wasted and the economy would be worse. Probably not noticibly though.
What does the manual say?

catgate

Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
Your Mercedes
A150 2door 2008
I have a C250TD estate and I always run in W because it seems to me that if it is for Winter mode, and as a result always sets off in second gear, it must be "revving" less freely and therefore be more economical. (but what it is more economical than, I can not say). I have only had the vehicle for almost a year but it seems to be quite happy with it.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom