question about exhaust and tuning

The Gunslinger

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Ok, given my last posts on my 1990 560SEL, we can probably all deduce that my car is used and has some small things wrong with it, lol, :p

My question is, i noticed on my exhaust, the only oxygen sensor on it is just behind the manifolds, after that shes straight pipe (cats included) all the way back. Now before this all ive had were north american vehicles, older ones which were really easy and adaptable to changing out the exhaust for a bigger one. In theory one could put a new exhaust on my car, a bigger wider one, without cats (here in alberta you can do that without any trouble from the law).

My question is, ive heard that european vehicles, and merc benz in particular, have their exhausts tuned specifically for that car, and if you mess with it or mod things it can either reduce power and performance or just not work the way you want it to.

In short, do you think i could go to a wide diameter pipe all the way back from the sensor, and maybe up my power? or should i just leave the ol girl as she is? if this was a ford id know exactly what to do :confused:

Thanks for all your help guys!

angus falconer

Reaction score
Hi Gunslinger,

I would have a look on some of the US sites where people commonly modify their Mercs. Here are a rule (I think most of the users are in the UK) we tend to keep out Merc's close to standard - hence lack of replies

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom