Raised engine temps, fans and radiator leaks!!

Auralman

Reaction score
Hi guys.

New to the Merc owning family and loving every minute of it!

Recently bought a 1990 w124 300E 4matic with 96k on the clock - I know that there differing opinions regarding the 4matic, but I'll take my chances!

The car is in great nick and runs like an utter dream. However, (there is always one!) yesterday, the engine temp began running almost up to 120 when I was stuck in traffic reducing rapidly when moving, rising quickly when still. Managed to get home okay but the reservoir was very low on water - topped up with water and coolent and took her for a spin. Before long, she had lost about 1/2 to 1litre of water. I couldn't locate a leak at all anywehre in the engine bay.

When I top the reservoir up, she runs at around 85, but when the water disappears obviously she starts to overheat.

Luckily this morning I located a leak either from the lower nearside (driver) pipe or thereabouts on the radiator so will inspect this further later this evening.

Was just wondering the "fan" layout forthis engine - is there just the one fan or is their also an auxillary - I am unsure if I have A/C or not!!! The an I can see rotates in accordance to the engine speed - should it speed up at higher temps of it's own valition. And what are the normal operating temps for this type of engine?

Sorry it's a bit long-winded but I am a bit of a novice!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony :p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Firstly if you have AC you will probably have a 'EC' button on the dash with lights up when the AC is off. You would alos have some soild aluminium pipes running around the engine bay between the compressor, condensor and heater.
Your fan is probably a viscous coupled type which always spins, but doesn't really cool until the temp goes above 85-90 when the fluid locks up and the fan really goes. 85 is abour right for running temp

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I agree with Bobcat, 85c is the temp that the visco fan cuts in, and yours is a Visco coupled fan. the bottem hose is a common leaking point (second one today) don't forget to add some anti freeze when you have fixed the leak as these engines are built to have it in all the year round. Nice cars, I miss mine more than my ex.

Malcolm

OP
A

Auralman

Reaction score
Hi guys

Thanks for the advice and info.

No A/C on my car, but that's one less thing to worry about! And, yeah, I can see that the site of my leak seems to be a common one.

Will let you know how I get on and no doubt will be back with further questions!!!

Tony

ps - Malcolm, you are right - nice cars - got mine as a treat after leaving my ex!!! LOL!!! Giving me less hassle too!

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
With all these leaky radiators it put me in mind of an altercation I had with a Triumph Stag exhaust pipe many years ago. Austin A40 radiator pushed back into the fan (his brakes were so much better than mine).
Anyway as you can imagine it was leaking like a seive and I was miles from home, so I pulled it as straight as possible to clear the fan ,drove to the nearest car park and luckily there was a Halfords nearby. I bought some exhaust sealant paste which I slapped into the still warm radiator where it was leaking and left it for a couple of hours before refilling with water.This was intended as a bodge to get me home but it was still there a year later when a I sold the car and did not leak a drop.
Not intended as a recommendation but it's great what you can achieve with blind faith and empty pockets (I was a student at the time).
Geo:) :) :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220GJS said:
With all these leaky radiators it put me in mind of an altercation I had with a Triumph Stag exhaust pipe many years ago. Austin A40 radiator pushed back into the fan (his brakes were so much better than mine).
Anyway as you can imagine it was leaking like a seive and I was miles from home, so I pulled it as straight as possible to clear the fan ,drove to the nearest car park and luckily there was a Halfords nearby. I bought some exhaust sealant paste which I slapped into the still warm radiator where it was leaking and left it for a couple of hours before refilling with water.This was intended as a bodge to get me home but it was still there a year later when a I sold the car and did not leak a drop.
Not intended as a recommendation but it's great what you can achieve with blind faith and empty pockets (I was a student at the time).
Geo:) :) :)
My little Hilman Imp husky had a leaking problem, I used to stop at a food store and put some eggs in, I think it was 6 eggs per 400 miles.

Malcolm

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
television said:
My little Hilman Imp husky had a leaking problem, I used to stop at a food store and put some eggs in, I think it was 6 eggs per 400 miles.

Malcolm
Did you have them poached or did you leave the shells on and just boil them.
Geo:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220GJS said:
Did you have them poached or did you leave the shells on and just boil them.
Geo:rolleyes:
Cant remember back then, but the goverments advertizing campain, at the time Was " go to work on an egg" and we had those awful jokes like, My Egg wont start, Answer, pull the yoke out, and it will be all white.:idea: and of coarse, you had to drive on Shell petrol

Malcolm

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom