Rear camera flap is permanently open

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
I have just noticed that the rear camera flap on my 8-year old E220 D is permanently open. I have lifted the boot lid and tried to close it very gently - bot no way will it close. I am afraid to push too hard and damage something. Does anyone have any advice about what to do and does it matter if the flap is permanently open? Also, today I was reversing into a so so tricky space and the rear view camera didn't work at all - then when I had completed the manoeuvre, it came back to life again.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I have just noticed that the rear camera flap on my 8-year old E220 D is permanently open. I have lifted the boot lid and tried to close it very gently - bot no way will it close. I am afraid to push too hard and damage something. Does anyone have any advice about what to do and does it matter if the flap is permanently open? Also, today I was reversing into a so so tricky space and the rear view camera didn't work at all - then when I had completed the manoeuvre, it came back to life again.
May seem obvious but on the E class in settings there is a switch to open the flap (for maintenance), you may want to check that it has not been accidentally activated...

Also you can use that to check it.

If you have a Mercedes dashcam fitted, I believe that also opens the flap to record the rear view.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I expect it will have become gummed up with road salt and dirt. Cleaning it and the mechanism, then lubricating it might get it working again.

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
May seem obvious but on the E class in settings there is a switch to open the flap (for maintenance), you may want to check that it has not been accidentally activated...

Also you can use that to check it.

If you have a Mercedes dashcam fitted, I believe that also opens the flap to record the rear view.

Thanks for your reply - however the camera works absolutely perfectly. It's just that the flap that covers it is permanently open and I can't seem to close it.

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
I expect it will have become gummed up with road salt and dirt. Cleaning it and the mechanism, then lubricating it might get it working again.
Thanks for your reply - however the camera works absolutely perfectly. It's just that the flap that covers it is permanently open and I can't seem to close it. Problem is with the open flap, not the camera.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Thanks for your reply - however the camera works absolutely perfectly. It's just that the flap that covers it is permanently open and I can't seem to close it.
The remote switch in settings covers the gap (manually open/close flap)...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for your reply - however the camera works absolutely perfectly. It's just that the flap that covers it is permanently open and I can't seem to close it. Problem is with the open flap, not the camera.
It’s the open flap that will be gummed up, that’s what I was meaning.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
you might have got a small stone stuck in the flap, try using a pressurized water jet to clean the area thoroughly, and if that doesn't help, wiggle it with your hand (gently)

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
The remote switch in settings covers the gap (manually open/close flap)...

Thank you for your reply - I have sat in the car today and gone through every setting and cannot see anything that remotely looks like a switch to manually open and close the flap. The car is 8 years old (and totally utterly immaculate I might add) do you think it is too old to have that setting as one of the options?

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
you might have got a small stone stuck in the flap, try using a pressurized water jet to clean the area thoroughly, and if that doesn't help, wiggle it with your hand (gently)
Thank you ...... no stone though I checked, just can't close that damn flap no matter what I do.

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
It’s the open flap that will be gummed up, that’s what I was meaning.
Aaaah sorry - thank you ofor the suggection but all is very clean indeed. No gum, no stones etc., flap just will not click closed.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Thank you for your reply - I have sat in the car today and gone through every setting and cannot see anything that remotely looks like a switch to manually open and close the flap. The car is 8 years old (and totally utterly immaculate I might add) do you think it is too old to have that setting as one of the options?
Possibly, was going off my 2019 AMG.

This may assist, covers 2014 command :-

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
Possibly, was going off my 2019 AMG.

This may assist, covers 2014 command :-

Thank you - I am onto it!!

OP
L

Little Poppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Po99ie88!!
Yes - thank you, three pics as follows:

1063 shows camera out and flap open

1064 shows no camera but flat still open

1065 shows camera and flap open

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 15

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Get the trim off and clean and lube it. As blobcat.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ok it looks to me like the flap has become detached from the camera mechanism, either it's broken or otherwise having an issue,
can you force the camera out using the setting in the car, or engage reverse, and apply the parking brake, then power off, and try to re-attach the flap to the camera ?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Try
Multimedia system:
Vehicle
System settings
Parking Pilot
Open camera cover

Top Bottom