Recall on 2000 (X) C240 WDB203

MJQ

Reaction score
Hi,

My first posting here (after a false start earlier - couldn't find the post new thread button....derrr).
Anyway, I've received a letter from MB saying that "a cover under the air inlet slot of the engine bonnet may not be installed. This could result in water contamination of various under bonnet components"

I need to contact the service dept to arrange for work to be carried out, but would anyone know if this could be a possible cause of why I get so many blown bulbs and minor (but irritating) electrical faults?
If not - any idea what problems this missing part could or may have lead to?

Thanks

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
the problems your having is probably the reason MB are doing the recall.

they have surely seen a number of customers reporting these problems - and decided to act upon it..

water and electrical appliances dont mix to well

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Seems a strange thing to issue a recall for?

I would have expected this to be dealt with on a service bulletin.

OP
M

MJQ

Reaction score
Rory - you're right, I called it a recall for want of not knowing what they call it - but basically they're saying they want it in as a specific job rather than waiting for a service visit. When I called to book it in today I was told there's two other items that need attending to as well apparently - is this fairly common?

Omni - as far as I know it's those with chassis number beginning WDB203....but you best check that with your local dealer.

robbo

Reaction score
Thats me, so I'd better check with my dealer!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MJQ said:
Rory - you're right, I called it a recall for want of not knowing what they call it - but basically they're saying they want it in as a specific job rather than waiting for a service visit.
Well in my book, if they want it in specially, then that's a recall. Which seems surprising on a X reg car - it's survived this far!
MJQ said:
When I called to book it in today I was told there's two other items that need attending to as well apparently - is this fairly common?
Yes. I'm not sure what the UK name for these is, but in the US they're referred to as TSB's Technical Service Bulletin's. There are huge great lists of them, but they're often model/feature specific so not many apply. My car needed the Audio Gateway flashing (new software) and a fuel filter check at it's last service.
MJQ said:
Omni - as far as I know it's those with chassis number beginning WDB203....but you best check that with your local dealer.
Hmm.. mines at late 2004 and it starts WDB203
If you get some clarification of the issue (or even the TSB number) that would be useful. It could be a very limited issue where the guy working on the production line the day your car was made went home an hour early, or it could have a much wider impact.

Reaction score
odd, mine is definately a WDC and it's 2003. Not 100% sure what the first 3 characters stand for but mine is between the 2 models mentioned (age wise) and has a WDC code rather than a WDB

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The first 3 letters are the manufacturer identity - but I'm baffled what the logic is which decides whether a W203 is a B or a C.
I've asked the question in a new thread - perhaps DC_insider will answer!

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Would DB be Daimler Benz and DC be Daimler Chrysler. Does the change fit with the merger/takeover with Chrysler?

Jim

OP
M

MJQ

Reaction score
It's going in on Tuesday, so I'll try and find out a bit more and get a TSB number for it.

:)

Top Bottom