Remote start

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
You might tell the Butler to send out the Chauffeur earlier?

(PS what does the anti grind do? sounds interesting)

Last edited:

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
all well and good if you have your own private and very secure drive and don't give a stuff about your car.

A car left unattended with the engine running at the side of the road is not only a very quick way to lose your car but also illegal.

Most modern cars aren't designed to be used like this - excessive idle when the engine is cold creates condensation within the engine which settles in the catalytic convertors thus shortening their lives - this is why our gearboxes change differently when the car is cold - to get the engines and equally importantly the exhaust system up to temperature.

So, to sum up they are lazy, unneccessary, harm the car and environment and possibly illegal to use :)

Andy

E200 Simon

Reaction score
Website
www.bmwrallying.com
Remote start
good on the cold mornings as you can warm the car before you go out.
But isn't that what girlies are for Nicky?
icon_smile_shock.gif

So, to sum up they are lazy, unneccessary, harm the car and environment and possibly illegal to use
Yep, they're the ones. ;)

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
andy_k said:
So, to sum up they are lazy, unneccessary, harm the car and environment and possibly illegal to use :)

Andy

Can you confirm they're definitely illegal and harm the environment - if they're not, I'm not interested in buying one. I will cope with the lazy and unnecessary issues myself. I am having troubles with the butler these days - often I will tell him to prepare the Aston Martin and bring it to the front of the house, and he will bring the wrong car (the Maybach, for example). You just can't get the staff.

Last edited:
OP
N

nicky

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
andy_k said:
all well and good if you have your own private and very secure drive and don't give a stuff about your car.

A car left unattended with the engine running at the side of the road is not only a very quick way to lose your car but also illegal.

Most modern cars aren't designed to be used like this - excessive idle when the engine is cold creates condensation within the engine which settles in the catalytic convertors thus shortening their lives - this is why our gearboxes change differently when the car is cold - to get the engines and equally importantly the exhaust system up to temperature.

Andy

Well my exhaust is not connected to the gearbox,so it wont effect my car..
And the car remains locked untill you open it,and i have a private drive way,so it works for me.....

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
andy_k said:
this is why our gearboxes change differently......

My gearbox changes differently to others, but I'm assured its all part of growing up, and its quite normal. On the 15 year old car, sometimes its really stroppy! But the 29 year old car seems more settled, and acts normally.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
My gearbox changes differently when its cold - it wears and overcoat and scarf, then when it warms up a bit it changes to Bermuda shorts and a straw hat.....

smee

Reaction score
i have one fitted 2 my car but not the merc

the car dose remain locked steering lock is still on and if they manage 2 get in break the lock soon as they take the handbreak off or touch the foot break the system cuts the car off also has a delayed anti highjacking feature, sounds good but rarely gets used :smile:

problems fitting it 2 a car with a transponder type immobiliser sustem though ull have 2 get a chip programed 2 inset into the unit :mad:

craigyboy

Reaction score
remote start clifford

I have a clifford Avantguard 5 fitted to my car which has remote start.

It is not illegal to have your car running while nobody is in it as along as the lights come on while it is in Autostart mode which is standard setup when the alarm is installed.

If someone breaks into the car while the autostart is running the car will shutdown and will not be able to re-start as the keys are not left inside the car. Avantguard 5 also has a system called Blackjax which stops your car being car jacked. Basically, if someone did get hold of your keys or dragged you out of you car at a set of traffic lights the car requires you to enter a pin number via a switch after 1 min. If this is not done then the car will shutdown and the alarm goes off...

If you go on holiday and the car battery starts to drian the car will autostart to charge itself back up..

I found the clifford system verry good and I have used Clifford systems since 1996 and autostart has been out for at least 10 years that I know off..

If yhou require any other info/advice email me at

craigyboy@bigfoot.com

F

fwb44

paulcallender said:
I am having troubles with the butler these days - often he will bring the wrong car
don't you know what a mortal insult it is to tell the butler to do the chauffeur's job - I'm surprised the footmen haven't downed salvers in sympathy

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
craigyboy said:
It is not illegal to have your car running while nobody is in it as along as the lights come on while it is in Autostart mode which is standard setup when the alarm is installed.
I somehow doubt that's correct (in the UK, at least).
craigyboy said:
If you go on holiday and the car battery starts to drian the car will autostart to charge itself back up..
How cool is that! I imagine it would cause some consternation at the long-stay car park, though.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
fwb44 said:
don't you know what a mortal insult it is to tell the butler to do the chauffeur's job - I'm surprised the footmen haven't downed salvers in sympathy

I only have the one person who does both duties. In days gone by, the estate had 6 limousines to call upon, these days its only 3....cut backs, etc.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Cold mornings

My man's always too busy ironing my copy of The Times in the morning to start the car

You could use a Kenlowe Hot Start instead - it plugs into the mains & heats the (car) water system. Put it on a timer

The only problem is remembering to unplug it before driving away - so you use a lawnmower plug on the mains lead

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Not that I have any experience of them, but isn't the best solution to that cold car on a winters morning's a "pre-heater".

ie something that is the size of a toaster and plugs into a local mains point on the car and to the house. Heats up the water in the engine so that it circulates and brings the car to a quick warm ambient temperature.

Unplug, step into the cold car start up and straight (almost) into warm air coming through the ventilation system. Reduces friction to engine, saves fuel (a must these days) and your little toetoes can be as warm as butter in no time once the engine is running.

Has anyone got one under their bonnet?

Can't remember the name of the make that I read about some time ago, but a quick look at Google referred to Webasto as a maker. Not the name I had heard of.

Sigh! If only i could afford the electricity!

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Apols to Bolride? - don't know why his letter did not show before I penned a repeat - thanks though - Kenlowe was the name at the bottom of my feeble brain.

evade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w201 190 2.6 auto 142000miles metalic blue
Can't remember the name of the make that I read about some time ago, but a quick look at Google referred to Webasto as a maker. Not the name I had heard of.
WEBASTO USED TO MAKE VINYL SUNROOFS - factory fits in 70's

Vangogh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDi 2012 3ltr Diesel
I heard that leaving the car ticking over from cold damages the small ends.

Top Bottom