Replacing Catalytic Converter - W124

Tony

Reaction score
Snap!

As an update on my cat problems, I eventually decided to have new lambda sensors fitted to my SLK320, at vast expense (£130 each). The engine was throwing a code indicating that the nearside cat was not working correctly, so I decided to have both the pre-cat and post-cat sensors changed in the hope that it's the sensors rather than the after-market cat. Touch wood, it seems to have done the trick.

This got me thinking about what happened. The first cat went at 15k miles (nearside cat broke up) and Mercedes replaced it under warranty. Presumably they didn't replace the sensors - they just did the minimum they could get away with. This cat then broke up (nearside again) after 8k miles. My theory is that one or both of the sensors on the nearside were faulty (probably the one before the cat) and this caused the cat to overheat and break up. The engine light didn't come on when they replaced the cat because the Merc cats are so over-engineered that they can clean up almost anything. The new cat was not over-engineered and so the post-cat sensor started complaining fairly rapidly.

The moral of the story is that one should always check WHY the cat broke up. But how was I meant to know this? Why didn't Mercedes check this when the first one went. When the second one went in the same way why didn't they put 2 and 2 together? (Answer: they couldn't give a monkey's). I think I'm going to be going back to Mercedes with a few questions.

clive williams

Reaction score
Tony said:
Snap!

The moral of the story is that one should always check WHY the cat broke up. But how was I meant to know this? Why didn't Mercedes check this when the first one went. When the second one went in the same way why didn't they put 2 and 2 together? (Answer: they couldn't give a monkey's). I think I'm going to be going back to Mercedes with a few questions.

You got part of the answer wrong. They didn't give a monkeys because they were monkeys!
The moral is 'Look after your cats - feed them properly and don't abuse them! Make sure that you spare the physical abuse - no kicking. and don't immerce them in water unless you want to kill them whilst young. Give them regular check ups with good quality kit and they will purr all day long. Don't give them short runs, let them stretch their legs to improve their stamina'. After youv'e done all that cuddle them and call them kitty! ;)

Clive

500E
320CDIT210

OP
E

eyelight

Reaction score
If anyone is in the market for a W124 Cat, I've found that Euro Car Parts sells the Eberspächer ones, which, as far as I can tell from the forum here, are near identical to OEM ones. They're looking for £ 380.00 for one to fit an E220, which compares very well to Mercedes dealer price of £942.

COUPE FREAK

Reaction score
flyingtech55 said:
Before a certain date, the car doesn't need to have a cat even if one was originally fitted. I think it's pre August '94. The cat. on my 190E (W201)started rattling so I had it removed and replaced with a small silencer instead. The car still passes its MOT OK on emmisions. .

anyone know if this is gospel,, and is august 1994 the correct date,,??

flyingtech55

Reaction score
Website
www.bordersgliding.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320 (R170)
Hi Coupe Freak

I think the correct date is August 1992. I believed it to be '94 when I posted the comment. However subsequent conversations lead me to believe that my '92 car only just made it into the 'doesn't need a cat' category. However, I will check for certain at the weekend if the chap 'who knows' is there.

Gliderman

COUPE FREAK

Reaction score
flyingtech55 said:
Hi Coupe Freak

I think the correct date is August 1992. I believed it to be '94 when I posted the comment. However subsequent conversations lead me to believe that my '92 car only just made it into the 'doesn't need a cat' category. However, I will check for certain at the weekend if the chap 'who knows' is there.

Gliderman

thanks,,:D

Marc Taylor

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an 1995 E200 W124 and about 2 years ago I had to replace the CAT on my car due to the same problem that you stated. I got in contact with Blue Star Enterprises (tel: 01740 631954) who specilise in discount Mercedes parts (often they are mercedes parts) and they supplies me a cat with the twin down pipes for around £240.
Regards
Marc

flyingtech55

Reaction score
Website
www.bordersgliding.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320 (R170)
Hi Coupe Freak

The cut off date is August '92 apparently. Cars made after date this must have the cat fitted. Mine was made and registered before August '92 and therefore doesn't need the cat but must of course keep the Lamda probe fitted if it had one already.

Gliderman

maldon

Reaction score
Woa

Are you really sure it is the cat and not the flimsy bracket things that suspend the heat shield? If they are broken you will get a sort of high pitched rattle under acceleration at certain revs.

I just got a lad in kwik fit to tacka blobof weld - that lasted about a year, then there was a great big exhast clamp put on and eventually just had the heast shield taken off. Went through thre or four MOT's like that.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom