Replacing Fuel Filter and cleaning ABS sensors

Stevie A

Reaction score
I am going to replace the fuel filter on my 190E. Says in Haynes manual to depressurise fuel system by taking of king HT lead and turning engine over for a couple of seconds. I was thinking - Should I also take the fuel filler cap off and depressurise the tank too? Any fuel filter replacement advice welcome.

Also - what's the best stuff to use to clean the front ABS sensors and are they easy to get at?

clive williams

Reaction score
Stevie A said:
I am going to replace the fuel filter on my 190E. Says in Haynes manual to depressurise fuel system by taking of king HT lead and turning engine over for a couple of seconds. I was thinking - Should I also take the fuel filler cap off and depressurise the tank too? Any fuel filter replacement advice welcome.

Also - what's the best stuff to use to clean the front ABS sensors and are they easy to get at?

Good point in the Haynes manual re de-pressurising but on my cars I undo the unions slowly, tankside first with a nice large metal container close to catch the fuel. I've never had fuel spurt out as I'm pretty cautious. I also clamp off both flexible hoses to prevent fuel leakage whilst the filter is off. A word of warning: make sure that the ignition is switched off or better take the key out, even disconnect the battery - do what is necessary to ensure that there is no possibility of an electrical spark.

The ABS sensors should just prise out; they are usually held with a coppered spring shim to the hub. Care when you do it so as not to damage the sensor or wiring. The best cleaner is the highly volatile brake cleaner. Although I have used WD40 in the past. Always make sure that the sensor is cleaned of any lubricant as the metal body has to make an electrical contact with the hub.

One last safety point - don't get high on the petrol or the brake cleaner!

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom