Replacing shocks!

garethc200k

Reaction score
Hi I have 2002 w203 coupe (C200 K)
With sports suspension that makes the ride a bit hard, I would like to replace the sports shocks with standard ones I’ve sourced them from www.proven-products.co.uk
Front and back for under £200 delivered, I also checked with my local MB dealer and they said it’s possible to fit standard ones, does anyone foresee any problems, other than the handling will change which is what I want softer ride
Cheers
Gareth

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
"Standard" is quite difficult in terms of mercedes suspension as it looks as if there are ~20 different front springs for a W208 C200K! and 5 different shock absorbers. http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...627716.630&CT=F&cat=69J&SID=32&SGR=015&SGN=01
There are also 3 different torsion bars you could have; http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...627716.630&CT=F&cat=69J&SID=32&SGR=060&SGN=02 again just on the front.

So IMO any aftermarket will be one hell of a compromise.

Must agree on this one, it is a minefield

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I suspect the most significant thing affecting the ride will be the springs not the shock absorbers. If the car is lowered with shorter, higher rate, springs then you should change the shocks and springs together

Next I'd think the tyre choice and aspect ratio will have the most effect. Simply changing to a softer tyre may help a lot

The antiroll bar will affect the ride least of all - in theory they have no effect on a flat road in a straight line

Depending on the mileage of the car you may have a few worn bushes. I'd start with replacing worn bushes and trying tyres with softer sidewalls before changing springs & shockers

If I were doing it I'd fit Mercedes standard springs and dampers or Mercedes standard springs and OE Bilstein "Comfort" shocks if they're available

Bilstein and Sachs were probably OE suppliers. I wouldn't use parts from a "Performance Shop" and expect to improve on the ride from Mercedes parts

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
G

garethc200k

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like it’s a bit of a gamble but I’ll try changing the shocks for non sport type and possibly the springs, I’ll let u know how it turns out, I do have knocking on the front when going over bumps or uneven roads so I have purchased roll bar bushes and link arms from eurocar-parts about £30
The cars only done 40k
Cheers
Gareth

mercman_1

Reaction score
Spring replacement

I have just completed changing both front springs on our W203 coupe 42,000mls ,both were broken at exactly the same place.removing the complete unit is a doddle,Changing the spring is a completly different ball game, standard spring compressors are really hard to get in also there must be an internal spring inside the shock absorber pulling the shaft in. good luck took me best part of 6hours.
Bob T.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I bought a sealey spring compressor, £40 fits inside the coild spring and does the job very well. changed both front springs on my CL in no time.

jib

OP
G

garethc200k

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info
Jibcl500 any chance of a photo of that sealey spring compressor and a couple of dimensions, as I have access to a workshop and could probably knock one up, I saw a thread some wear where someone had used a length of studding hooked at one end with the other end going through a hole in the shock housing, nut on the end and job done! well almost!

Cheers
Gareth

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
This is an interesting point. How do you tell a softer tyre from a harder one when buying?

I'd start with the Autocar and Auto Express tyre comparison tests then talk to people who've used different tyres on the same model

I am a fan of Continental Premium Contact IIs because they seem to give a very supple ride. To my surprise the latest Michelin Pilot Primacys seem good too. I've always thought Michelins would be hard as they last a long time but maybe their newer compounds are hard-wearing and soft - that'd be an achievement

In general I'd think premium tyres would give the best ride, particularly those biased towards executive cars (Jaguars, etc) rather than performance cars

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
I bought a sealey spring compressor, £40 fits inside the coild spring and does the job very well. changed both front springs on my CL in no time.

jib

Have you got the part number for your sealy tool.

Many thanks

:D

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd start with the Autocar and Auto Express tyre comparison tests then talk to people who've used different tyres on the same model

I am a fan of Continental Premium Contact IIs because they seem to give a very supple ride. To my surprise the latest Michelin Pilot Primacys seem good too. I've always thought Michelins would be hard as they last a long time but maybe their newer compounds are hard-wearing and soft - that'd be an achievement

In general I'd think premium tyres would give the best ride, particularly those biased towards executive cars (Jaguars, etc) rather than performance cars

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks Nick. Makes sense - my friends E320 is on Contis I think and it does ride more nicely than mine - may look at a set next time.

OP
G

garethc200k

Reaction score
This site looks to have a good selection of Sealey spring compressors, prices look good to
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk/catalogue/Index.jsp
Search for spring compressor
Can any one suggest the most suitable?
jibcl500 is this the one u used Sealey AK3842 looks like it would be used inside the spring

Gareth

Top Bottom